Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2020 :  05:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(You gonna love this one...)

I definitely blamed VS2019 for this, but since it happens only with VA enabled, there we go:

When I have VS2019 open with a loaded solution and some documents open, then switch to another windows user, log it off and then switch back to my user, there is a small flicker in VS and all document tabs and sidebars are invisible. They are obviously still there, since I can click and the expected action happens, but the only thing visible is the VA navigation bar.
And there is definitely a relation to the navigation bar, when I dont turn off the the VS navigation bar for C#, all is fine.
Also, when turning off the VS navigation bar, a VS restart is required to have it happen, just turning it off and switching users does not affect it.

Since the screenshots to show the before/after are too large to upload here I'll send them by email.

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on #8206;21/#8206;08/#8206;2020
OS build 19042.630
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Edited by - Uniwares on Nov 26 2020 05:15:01 AM

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  07:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Observation: this happens only when VS is the active window before switching users. With VS minimized or in the background nothing happens.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2020 :  11:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sign of any problems here, I have tried on two different machines.

How are you triggering the account switch? I am opening the windows start menu, and doing it from there, mouse click on account name, which lists other accounts on the machine, and choosing the new account from there.

When it comes time to switch back I am doing the same thing in reverse.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2020 :  11:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much the way. Works also when locking the workstation and selecting another user. It surely has to do with different display settings between the two users, not sure how to figure out which ones.
Guess you saw the images I sent by email.
When switching back, I see a short flickering, as if the VS document windows where resized/repositioned, then they are gone. Rendered invisible, because they are there, i see tooltips appearing when hovering around, can select, copy+paste, just nothing is visible, as if all colores are reset to black.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2020 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea what display settings might be different between the two user accounts?

I am assuming you have the same number of monitors, monitor resolutions, refresh rates and monitor layouts for the two accounts.

Are you using different Windows themes for the two accounts?

Are you using any utilities that might change or edit display settings on one account but not the other?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2020 :  12:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different themes definitely, display settings seem to be the same in both windows and nvidia control panel. Although the WinAero tweaks are active in one profile but not the other. You have my settings I think.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2020 :  2:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have set up a "full" test here. All of your extensions, based on the last list you sent. Your IDE and VA settings, and all of the WinAero tweaks as well. Still no sign of the problem. I have made sure that I have a .cs file as the current file in VS2019 when testing this.

I am not sure what else to check here.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  05:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found out that this does not happen with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Preview Version 16.9.0 Preview 2.0, only with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.8.x (current release version)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2020 :  09:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. Are you sharing a profile, so all of your IDE settings, between the two versions of VS2019? If so, then this suggests that this has been fixed in the next version. If you are using separate IDE profiles then it is possible that the trigger lies in your profile.

Still strange, but fixed is good.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2020 :  09:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shared profile
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2020 :  10:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best guess is a fix from Microsoft then, assuming that you have VA installed and active in VS2019 16.9.0 Preview 2.0. If so, hopefully this stays fixed.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000