Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jschroedl
Tomato Guru

USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2022 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SOLUTION

If you find this thread because you are seeing this problem, the crash is normally due a bug that causes our older exe installers to crash when they try to work out which versions of Visual Studio you have installed, when a newer version of VS2022 is installed.

To work around this can you please right click on the exe installer, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab in the properties dialog.� If you enable "Compatibility mode" and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 the installer will load and run without any problems.

After the installer has run successfully you may see NO sign of Visual Assist inside Visual Studio. If there is no sign of Visual Assist loading or being active, while Visual Assist is shown as an installed and enabled extension in the dialog, in VS2017:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

or in VS2019 and VS2022:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

the proble is easy to fix. The first step is to export your default profiles IDE settings, since the fix resets your current settings.� This is done via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Now you need to close all instances of the IDE and locate the directory where your default profile is stored.� If you are using VS2017 this will be:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_xxxxx
if you are using VS2019 this will be:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_xxxxx
and if you are using VS2022 this will be:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\17.0_xxxxx
where xxxxx is a hash, so its machine specific.� There should only be one directory matching this pattern.

If you look inside this directory you should see a file called "privateregistry.bin".� You need to delete this file, which will be recreated next time you load the default profile. You will either get the default IDE settings or your online synced IDE settings, if you have enabled this option.� So you may well want to import your exported IDE settings, to restore your preferred settings.

When you do so all of your installed extensions will still be installed, but they will be Disabled, so you need to go into the extension manager dialog, if you are using VS2017:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

and if you are using VS2019 and VS2022:

and Enable them.� This will require an IDE restart to take effect.

I am attempting to update to VA build 2440 but the installer crashes every time I run it. (VA_X_Setup2440_0.exe). Looking in Event Viewer shows the following in case it helps:

Faulting application name: VA_X_Setup2440_0.exe, version: 10.9.2440.0, time stamp: 0x61958ff0
Faulting module name: VA_X_Setup2440_0.exe, version: 10.9.2440.0, time stamp: 0x61958ff0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000086ef
Faulting process id: 0x7ef0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d80d5ffe6c3b81
Faulting application path: C:\Users\saspjs\Downloads\VA_X_Setup2440_0.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\saspjs\Downloads\VA_X_Setup2440_0.exe
Report Id: 8d5c741d-935c-4248-970d-9b81622277b3
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I have:
* VS 2019 Enterprise 16.11.9
* VS 2022 Enterprise 17.1.0 Preview 2.0.

VA build 2021.3

Edited by - feline on Jul 13 2023 11:57:12 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2022 :  06:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a problem caused by the latest VS2022 preview, VS2022 Preview 2, which is causing our exe installer to crash. So far the problem only appears if you have this preview installed. We are looking into this:

case=147623

Even with the preview installed the individual VSIX installers still work. I have sent you an email with the links for the individual installers.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jschroedl
Tomato Guru

USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2022 :  10:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I was able to install using the VSIX files.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2022 :  10:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thank you for the update.

Go to Top of Page

dboone5
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2022 :  12:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post the VSIX file location for the rest of us mortals? It appears that I have the same problem as far as an Access Denied.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

ChrisG
Whole Tomato Software

USA
299 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2022 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This issue (case 147623) is fixed in VA build 2022.1.

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404#2443
Go to Top of Page

monstercoo

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2022 :  01:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm getting this error with the last available version for my license:

Faulting application name: VA_X_Setup2406_0.exe, version: 10.9.2406.0, time stamp: 0x60831558
Faulting module name: VA_X_Setup2406_0.exe, version: 10.9.2406.0, time stamp: 0x60831558
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Could I have the vsix installer or is there another workaround?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2022 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this, but there is a simple work around. Can you please right click on the exe installer, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab in the properties dialog.� If you enable "Compatibility mode" and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 the installer should load and run without any problems.

Obviously if this does not work then please let me know and I can provide you with IDE specific installers that don't have this problem, but I would need to know which version or versions of Visual Studio you need to install VA for.

Go to Top of Page

monstercoo

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  02:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Apologies for this, but there is a simple work around. Can you please right click on the exe installer, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab in the properties dialog.� If you enable "Compatibility mode" and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 the installer should load and run without any problems.

Obviously if this does not work then please let me know and I can provide you with IDE specific installers that don't have this problem, but I would need to know which version or versions of Visual Studio you need to install VA for.

Thanks, that resolved the issue with the installer, but the extension never loads with in visual studio. It's installed, but there none of the functionality is available. Is this related to the same issue? I'm on Visual Studio 2019 16.11.11.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  06:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's strange, and no, it should not be related at all.

First, can you please look in the dialog:

and make sure that Visual Assist is listed as installed and enabled. Obviously if it is shown as installed but disabled please Enable VA, this will require an IDE restart to take effect.

Next, if that didn't help, can you please check the setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Extensions and Updates -> Load per user extensions when running as administrator

and if this is turned Off please try turning it On and restarting the IDE, and see if this helps.

Go to Top of Page

sergyu91ma

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2022 :  3:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem. Vs 2022 17.1.5 win 11 21h2

Thanks,
Sergiu
Go to Top of Page

monstercoo

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2022 :  02:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

That's strange, and no, it should not be related at all.

First, can you please look in the dialog:

and make sure that Visual Assist is listed as installed and enabled. Obviously if it is shown as installed but disabled please Enable VA, this will require an IDE restart to take effect.

Next, if that didn't help, can you please check the setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Extensions and Updates -> Load per user extensions when running as administrator

and if this is turned Off please try turning it On and restarting the IDE, and see if this helps.

"Load per user extensions when running as administrator" did not fix the issue for me, but uninstalling visual studio and installing visual studio 2019 v16.11.13 did. Thanks

@sergyu91ma Fwiw, my issues began when I installed vs2022 and used a trial version of vax. When uninstalled vs2022 and the trial version expired for vax in vs2019, I was unable to get the extension to work on my old version again. Reinstalling vs2019 and running the vax installer in "Windows 7 compatibility mode" fixed the issue.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2022 :  06:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. You should not have to uninstall and reinstall the IDE.

In case anyone else ends up here, it is possible there was a problem inside your default IDE profile, I have seen this come up a couple of times lately. This can be tested by creating a test profile, using the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

or

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

and then installing VA into the test profile, to see if this fixes the problem. If it does, the default profiles settings can be reset, bypassing the need to uninstall and reinstall the IDE.

Go to Top of Page

Zahka

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2023 :  12:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem. I have installed VS2022 and VS2019. Now I'm trying to install Visual Assist 2420 to VS2019, but the installer keeps crashing. Since I only have the license for 2420, I cannot install newer version of VS. So far I have tried:

1. Uninstall VS2022: Does not work. The installer still crashes

2. Run installer in Win7 compatibility mode: Does not work. VA can be installed, but it is never loaded. I have tried to disable/re-enable it, but it just does not work.

3. Remove privateregistry.bin under AppData, and then install with win7 compatibility: Does not work, same as 2.

Is there anything else I can try?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2023 :  08:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After running the installer in compatibility mode, are you seeing VA shown as being installed in the dialog:

if you are, then deleting the "privateregistry.bin" file should work, but you will then need to go back into the extension manager dialog and Enable Visual Assist, which will require a further IDE restart.

If VA isn't working for you, is it shown as installed in the extension manager? Is it shown as enabled?

Which "privateregistry.bin" file did you delete, and which version of Visual Studio were you hoping this would fix?

Go to Top of Page

Zahka

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2023 :  10:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh this works. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

salmawisoky
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2023 :  04:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG

This issue (case 147623) is fixed in VA build 2022.1.

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404#2443 https://drift-boss.pro

Thank you.It works fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000