Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nofxboy1234

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - May 07 2020 :  1:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Feline, I've been exclusively using Blueprints in UE4 since VAX is not working as expected. I again tried re-installing/uninstalling UE4, Visual Studio, VAX and turning options on and off and still have the same issue.
It's a bit frustrating that I've paid for this product and can't use it to it's full ability. Do you happen to work for Whole Tomato, and if so, could you follow up on this? I'm waiting to hear back from Support as they have logged the issue.

What really confuses me is, surely I can't be the only person in the whole wide world having this issue? How are other people getting it to work? I'd even take a dirty workaround for the meantime until it's fixed.

I see the potential of VAX and have really liked the working parts that I've seen so far, and I think that's why I'm just really disappointed with how long it takes to get a fix as a paying customer.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  09:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do work for Whole Tomato, I assume you sent an email to [email protected], if so, what case number was this assigned?

As I understand it blueprints are handled by macro generated code in Unreal Engine, but I know we do have some support for and handling of this. But since I only support, but don't actually use Unreal Engine, my knowledge of it is rather random and scattered.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

nofxboy1234

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  10:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Feline, I sent an email to support on the 3rd of April. The case number is 142085.
Oh no don't worry about the blueprint side of it, I'm just using it to prototype and then port logic to c++ afterwards.
So I'm using blueprints visual scripting while I wait for a fix for c++ side of things.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  10:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without re-reading this entire thread, my test case for the problem is the line, in a header file:

class MYPROJECT3_API AMyCharacter : public ACharacter

triggering Goto Member on "ACharacter" lists all of the members of this class and its base classes. Triggering Goto Member on "AMyCharacter" only lists the members declared in this class.

This is not a simple bug, as you have seen with us trying to pin it down and reproduce it on demand.

You mention a simple work around, don't you already have several? The bottom part of VA View, the Hovering Class Browser, shows the correct class information when hovering the mouse over "AMyCharacter".

Telling VA you want to implement virtual methods from the base classes works correctly.

If you want to use Goto Member to go to one of the base classes then you can just move along the line slightly and re-trigger the Alt-Shift-G menu.

You can search the information VA has on the classes via the Find Symbol dialog, which you can easily filter on both class and function name.

Or is this a more serious bug than I understand, that cannot be worked around so easily?

Go to Top of Page

nofxboy1234

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  12:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Without re-reading this entire thread, my test case for the problem is the line, in a header file:

class MYPROJECT3_API AMyCharacter : public ACharacter

triggering Goto Member on "ACharacter" lists all of the members of this class and its base classes. Triggering Goto Member on "AMyCharacter" only lists the members declared in this class.

This is not a simple bug, as you have seen with us trying to pin it down and reproduce it on demand.

You mention a simple work around, don't you already have several? The bottom part of VA View, the Hovering Class Browser, shows the correct class information when hovering the mouse over "AMyCharacter".

Telling VA you want to implement virtual methods from the base classes works correctly.

If you want to use Goto Member to go to one of the base classes then you can just move along the line slightly and re-trigger the Alt-Shift-G menu.

You can search the information VA has on the classes via the Find Symbol dialog, which you can easily filter on both class and function name.

Or is this a more serious bug than I understand, that cannot be worked around so easily?

Hi Feline, I took your feedback into account and did some testing.

The workarounds I had earlier in the thread were dirty and fixed one thing, and broke another, unfortunately, so I'd rather not use those.

What is nice about GoTo Member, is the ability to find symbols by a word in their name, and it's filtered only to base class symbols.
For example, I want to find a method that's related to "Jump".
In Goto Member, I type "jump" into the filter, and it lists e.g. ACharacter.CanJump and ACharacter.Jump, and any other base class symbols with "jump" in them, very quickly.

In Find Symbol, I type "jump" into the filter, and it lists many symbols with Jump in the name, and not filtered to base classes of the current class.
Is there a way to filter to only base classes in this dialog? That would be cool.

In VA View, I like that it shows an overview of base classes and symbols.
Is there a way to search VA View for a keyword like "jump"? That could work too.
I've checked the docs on Find Symbol and VA View and can't seem to find anything about filtering to base classes, but I'm new to Visual Assist, so maybe it is possible?

I could have VA View locked to the current class so I can see it's base classes, then use Find Symbol to filter with "acharacter jump", then "APawn jump",
until I've checked through all the base classes one by one, but this is a much longer and inefficient way than using GoTo Member and typing "jump" once.

At the moment, looking at these options, it seems like the quickest way is probably to create a VA HashTag next to the base class name in the header file,
then jump to it from anywhere in the Solution, and run GoTo Member.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  07:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the problem is that you are triggering Goto Member from different places inside your class, and are seeing the problem there as well?

What sort of places / scopes are you using, and seeing this problem with?

Go to Top of Page

nofxboy1234

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  07:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So the problem is that you are triggering Goto Member from different places inside your class, and are seeing the problem there as well?

What sort of places / scopes are you using, and seeing this problem with?

Hi Feline

Yip, if I trigger it from anywhere else inside that class, and it picks up that I'm trying to list that class' symbols, it gives that same result.

It happens anywhere in the scope of the ACharacter subclass, in this case.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now I see why this is a bigger problem than I had realized. I had been focusing on actually reproducing and tracking down the problem.

In a general sense, what problem are you trying to solve via the Goto Member dialog? I follow your example of finding a jump function, but are you trying to work out which functions you can override? Locate a specific member function of your current class?

Are you aware you can trigger Alt-Shift-G, and this Goto Member, on member variables, local variables and function calls? So, for example, you have a local variable of type AActor or ACharacter, you can trigger Goto Member on the variable or a function call on the variable.

I am trying to look for some way to help you work around this problem.

Go to Top of Page

nofxboy1234

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  10:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm mainly wanting to be able to quickly show base class symbols and jump into their code to see how they're implemented, and know what functionality is being provided in the background of my subclass.
Oh yes, I've seen you can trigger Alt+Shift+G on variables and function calls. I guess that's why I'm thinking I can work around it by bookmarking and jumping to the base class word in the subclass declaration, to run Alt+Shift+G.
I don't mind doing that now, I've kind of gotten used to it.

Thanks Feline, I appreciate the help. I can just wait until it's hopefully fixed one day, but at least VAX has a lot of functionality and many ways to do things, which provides ways to workaround an issue in most cases.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  09:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes sense, and I see the problem now. I have added this to the case, so we understand this is having a bigger impact than it first seems to be having.

Part of the problem here is that the exact conditions to trigger this bug aren't obvious, as we saw. Which makes it a bit more tricky to pin down and solve.

Go to Top of Page

nofxboy1234

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  10:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This makes sense, and I see the problem now. I have added this to the case, so we understand this is having a bigger impact than it first seems to be having.

Part of the problem here is that the exact conditions to trigger this bug aren't obvious, as we saw. Which makes it a bit more tricky to pin down and solve.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

ChrisG
Whole Tomato Software

USA
299 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2020 :  01:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=142090 is fixed in build 2380.
https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404#2380
Go to Top of Page

nofxboy1234

South Africa