Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1428 New Files in Project Are Ghosts

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swinefeaster Posted - Oct 21 2005 : 9:00:37 PM
This has been there for a while... If I add new h and cpp files to the project, you can never find them in the Open File In Workspace dialog. They work with Goto Definition and Declaration command though...

Anyway you guys can fix this for this release? It is rather a nuisance. I always have to go to the old way of finding these files, or worse --- reopen my workspace.

Cheers,

swine
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Jan 05 2006 : 02:11:56 AM
The missing files bug in 4017 was consistently reproducible and only affected vs2002+.

Try disabling the "Watch for externally modified headers and reparse when necessary" option on the VA Options/Text Editor/C/C++ page to see if that prevents the files from exiting the list. But understand that updates made to your projects (add/remove files) won't be processed by VA until you re-open the workspace.
swinefeaster Posted - Jan 04 2006 : 5:41:51 PM
this may be related to:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4017

to answer your question, yes the files are still missing from the list even with no filter.

thanks

swine
sean Posted - Dec 22 2005 : 8:07:51 PM
I saw the movie. In it, certain files don't appear when you use a filter.
If you don't use a filter, are the files still missing from the list?
feline Posted - Dec 21 2005 : 2:02:04 PM
i will ask support, and see if they have any ideas.
swinefeaster Posted - Dec 20 2005 : 8:42:15 PM
hmmm, well i never saw this problem in 1418, so i don't think it's a)

it doesn't happen consistently (i thought it did at some point, but i may have been wrong). it seems everything is ok on the initial scan, but when files are added / removed from the project, or a lot of reparsing goes on or something, after a while this starts happening.

my best guess would be that you guys fixed something in the recent builds that made VAX clue in about new files added to the project (and caused them to finally show up in the OFIW dialog), but that broke something else with this....

no?
feline Posted - Dec 19 2005 : 4:59:21 PM
most odd, i got the TechSmith codec, presumably from the same people, but that did not work while this player works perfectly.

i see the problem very clearly, but i don't know what to make of it. is this back to happening consistently at the moment? off the top of my head i can only think of two possibilities

a) the total number of files is so large that some VC6 related limit is being exceeded.
b) there is some form of file locking problem, so VA cannot see the files when it populates OFIW, presumably during the initial scan on loading the workspace.

to check things out though we need this to be reproducible at your end. if you can download and run http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html this might give us a clue about theory b. when you first load the workspace open OFIW and it is empty, with the title bar saying "parsing". monitoring what happens during this phase may help, but you would still need to find a file that is not showing up in the OFIW list.
swinefeaster Posted - Dec 19 2005 : 12:34:06 PM
it's a camtasia studio file. you can download their free player at:
http://www.infopackets.com/dloads/camplay.exe

cheers
feline Posted - Dec 17 2005 : 7:29:28 PM
i have the file, but i am unable to play it. i have found and installed what should be the required codec, but i cannot get the file to open successfully. i just get a file format error regardless of which player i use.

is it possible for you to re-produce this movie using a different, and more standard codec?
swinefeaster Posted - Dec 16 2005 : 5:15:00 PM
ok i just sent it to you... lemme know

cheers
feline Posted - Dec 16 2005 : 3:16:03 PM
2.6 meg is not a problem. i have emailed you via the forum, which will provide you with a valid email address you can use. i avoid posting my email online since i don't want to encourage any more spam.
swinefeaster Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 8:53:24 PM
i have a 2.6 meg movie for you. what email should i send it to?

i mostly use only this workspace, but i've seen it occur on different workspaces, but i haven't used them lately...

i routinely kill all the antivirus software when i come into work :)... it just slows everything down. and i don't have any spyware running that i know of --- i routinely scan my Processes list in TaskMan and kill anything i don't recognize.

yes, the functions are in FSIW dialog, as the movie will show.

thanks,

swine
feline Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 6:18:16 PM
if the movie is not to large you can email it to me, and if it is very large it can be chopped into pieces and each of the pieces emailed separately. i am not sure how much help it would be though, but it could be worth a try.

do you only use this one workspace? i am wondering if you know if this seems to be workspace specific.

what anti-virus are you using? have you done a spyware scan recently? if this is specific to you, and it looks like it might be, i am wondering if something is somehow blocking VA from seeing the files.

next time this happens can you see if the class or functions defined in the missing files are listed in the FSIW dialog?
swinefeaster Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 1:29:31 PM
Rats, actually it's not consistent. It didn't do it this time when I opened the workspace --- today it happilly shows all the files.

I can make a screenshot video of this when it happens if you want? It will be a few megs though... Dunno where I can post it.
swinefeaster Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 1:23:43 PM
I tried reproducing this with a simple project but couldn't do it. It happens now all the time, consistently. Even after freshly opening the workspace, certain files in the project do not come up in the OPF dialog.

The workspace has about 10 projects. The main on is a static library that is linked into the other projects that depend on it. In the other projects, some files are not available in the OPF, even though I can skip to their definitions and declarations using VAX.

I am also grouping various files in subfolders in the project, but the files that are affected are actually in the standard Header Files and Source Files folders.

This didn't happen before (with 1418 I believe)... Anyone else getting this same problem?

Thanks,

swine
feline Posted - Nov 22 2005 : 6:01:10 PM
is there any pattern to the files that cannot be seen? are they ones you have added to the solution since opening the IDE? are they ones that you have modified?
swinefeaster Posted - Nov 17 2005 : 6:57:03 PM
i just got this bug again in 1432. some files just can't be seen in the Open File In Workspace dialog. This happened after I was doing massive changes to some widely used class header files (the app header). This never happened in 1418.

This is on vc6.
feline Posted - Oct 29 2005 : 2:57:40 PM
thanks. at the moment i am not sure what to say, so more details would help.
swinefeaster Posted - Oct 28 2005 : 2:26:07 PM
it is a fairly large project, but VAX sees all files no problem most of the time. sometimes it just gets confused and then stops working. i will let you know more details about the jump to when i see it happen again.
feline Posted - Oct 27 2005 : 6:54:36 PM
are you using a *large* project? i recall comments about VC6 its self having a limit on the number of files it could handle. the details are vague off the top of my head, but this could be related.

beyond that, what other effects are you seeing? are the classes defined in these "lost" files still understood by VA? what about using alt-g to jump into one of them?
swinefeaster Posted - Oct 27 2005 : 3:10:54 PM
sorry, actually this works. i guess it's something you guys fixed recently.

but i am getting a different bug: after running devstudio for a while, sometimes it starts forgetting about a bunch of source files in the project and then i cannot see them in the open file in workspace dialog anymore... it happens after a while of use, and i dunno how i can reproduce this.
swinefeaster Posted - Oct 24 2005 : 2:09:15 PM
Actually, no it doesn't work that way. In vc6, I just added a new header and cpp to the project, saved the workspace, even compiled the cpp, but the Open File In Workspace dialog does not see it. And yes I have the "Watch for externally modified headers and reparse when necessary" checked.

:(
sean Posted - Oct 21 2005 : 9:58:37 PM
If you are using VC6, then VA won't see the new files until you save the workspace. You also need to enable the "Watch for externally modified headers and reparse when necessary" option on the C/C++ page (Text Editor) of the VA options dlg.

vs2003 should work without doing either.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000