Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual Assist uses 100% cpu

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mnd Posted - Nov 07 2005 : 06:03:12 AM
Hello,

I've a problematic file that is causing devenv to use 100%.
Looking at the devenv call stack, the function causing cpu hog is va_x_dll!MigrateDevColor+0xabb75.

The particular file in question is 1300 lines long and for each line there is a macro used to define a particular value.

For example:

#define kHe_MyPrefix RezLong(0x12F00)
DECLARE_PMID( kClassIDSpace, kHe_myBoss, kHe_MyPrefix + 77 )

where the macro is DECLARE_PMID of course and it will define the kHe_myBoss as an int32.

I've just upgraded to this latest beta (waiting for the new version to be released to renew my license).

This is a long standing issue I have with Visual Assist...I just found a workaround to have devenv exit gracefully, you have to switch to another application, devenv will release the cpu and then you have to click on X of the problematic file.

------------------------------------

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1428.0 built 2005.10.19
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.2
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: ProFontWindows 15(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 04 2007 : 06:31:09 AM
Michal your description reminds me of a problem we recently found and fixed with running two instances of the IDE at the same time, which could lead to VA's symbol database becoming corrupt. I don't know that was the cause, but it is possible.

mnd most of my VA testing is done inside VMware workstation, and most of the virtual machines only have a single CPU, so I should notice these problems if I was able to reproduce them. I suspect there is something about your solution that is confusing VA and triggering these problems, but finding out what that something is is proving rather difficult.
mnd Posted - Jul 04 2007 : 03:55:06 AM
I have changed the laptop and now I own a new Dell with a Dual Core 2 cpu.
We this fast machine I still could notice when VA is freezing but it reduced the amount of time.
That clearly means that the problem is still there but it is hardly noticeable with very fast machines.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1557.0 built 2007.05.29
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.6
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.6030.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.6030.0
Font: Consolas 15(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\includes;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\architecture;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\cjk;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\colormgmt;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\graphics;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\incopy;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\interactive;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\interactive\\ui;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\layout;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\tables;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\text;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\ui;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\utils;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\workgroup;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\xmedia;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\hlaincludes;

Library Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Michal Puczynski Posted - Jul 04 2007 : 02:36:46 AM
I saw the 100% cpu many times, it is usually connected with huge memory consumption (2GB) in my case. My code has lots of templates and I noticed VA having problems with expansion of some templates and macros. Workaround is to clear VA database. Helps, but not for long. It comes back after reloading several solutions into the same IDE instance.
I haven't noticed that on 1557 so far.

IDE: Vc++ 2003 Sp1, VA: many versions, most have/had this problem.
sean Posted - Jun 29 2007 : 01:57:08 AM
I have a Vista machine with Aero enabled running build 1557 and haven't had any problems with highlight current line enabled.

Do you have the vs2005 vista patch installed?
feline Posted - Jun 28 2007 : 12:44:28 PM
I am fairly sure at least one of our developers is working under Vista, I will ask around.

I have Vista here, but I am running it within a VMware, so no Aero. Can you try disabling Aero and see if this makes any difference?

case=7355
mackomilos Posted - Jun 28 2007 : 12:04:19 PM
Feline,

Till now (for about last 2 weeks) I've been working with 'highlighting current line' turned off and I can surely tell that the VA speed problem is related to this feature - I haven't noticed any speed problem during this period of time.

Does anybody use this feature on Vista OS with aero enabled? I would like to find out whether just my HW/SW configuration causes this behaviour or it's a general problem.
feline Posted - Jun 12 2007 : 4:18:15 PM
If you turn off "highlight current line" does this fix all of your CPU usage problems? Or only some of them?

If this fixes the problem can you look in IDE tools -> Options -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = "Current Line (VA X)"
I am wondering if the foreground and background are still set to Default, or if one or both has changed.

I would not expect highlighting the current line, on its own, to have such a massive effect on CPU usage.
mackomilos Posted - Jun 12 2007 : 09:33:16 AM
quote:
Are you running as administrator?
No. I always run VS under the regular user. But I think this would not make any difference, because after VS is started, everything is fast.
quote:
Do you have the latest video drivers for your card?
Yes. The display adapter is ATI Radeon with latest video drivers (v7.5).
quote:
You mention turning off most VA features, have you tried turning off all enhanced syntax colouring and all underlining?
The turning these features off little helped, but it's almost negligible.
quote:
Can you try running Process Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx
This screenshot is took during the moving cursor from top of the screen to the bottom side (whereby the window scrolling was not performed). Here I must tell that the moving cursor was very lazy and lagged operation.
But If I switched 'HIGHLIGHT CURRENT LINE' (dotted box) off, moving cursor was very fast and the devenv.exe process took about 6% of CPU, what is significant difference. So I assume that there is some drawing problem (as you mentioned), but with current-line-highlighting.
The next thing is number of GUI objects. If I open VS and load the project, the IDE has about 1300 alocated GUI objects. After the while, the allocated objects is increased to 1900.

quote:
... the only way that makes sense is some other process hooking into the IDE / VAX, like Windowblinds, or a graphics driver problem.
I have no any other plugin installed, nor WindowsBlinds...
quote:
Does changing to a more standard font, Courier New, Lucida Console make any difference?
No.
quote:
What is Z drive? Is this a network drive? A subst local directory mapped to a drive letter? Something else?
This is normal subst drive of local disk directory.
feline Posted - Jun 11 2007 : 2:22:03 PM
Are you running as administrator?
Do you have the latest video drivers for your card?
Since this is Vista I am wondering about video drivers and permissions / access rights.

You mention turning off most VA features, have you tried turning off all enhanced syntax colouring and all underlining?

Can you try running Process Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

I am wondering about the memory usage, CPU usage, and GUI object usage of the IDE, and any other running program.

From the description it is almost as if drawing was the problem, and the only way that makes sense is some other process hooking into the IDE / VAX, like Windowblinds, or a graphics driver problem.

Does changing to a more standard font, Courier New, Lucida Console make any difference?
What is Z drive? Is this a network drive? A subst local directory mapped to a drive letter? Something else?

The only thing in your system info that stands out is the font and Z drive.
mackomilos Posted - Jun 11 2007 : 12:01:29 PM
Feline,

I'm encountering same issue too also with latest build 1557. After the while, the IDE becomes slower and slower, even if only small files are opened. Only reopening (closing and then opening again) the edited files helps me, but this is only temporary solution, because slowing-down will occur again in short time.

I've tried version 1544 where I'm not seeing any such problem. What is also very interesting is that if I turn AERO in Vista on, the VA is unusable after short time (slowing-down process described above is more more significant here).

Turning most of VA features off, disabling intellisense didn't help. The IDE with VA uninstalled works fine (build-in intellisense worked like a charm, there were no delay problems).

Just for the informations, here are info from VA:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1557.0 built 2007.05.29
Licensed to:
VA X: xxxxx Support ends 2008.02.15
VA.NET 7.1: xxxxxxx
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.6
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.867
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.867
Font: Monospac821 BT 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6000.16386
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6000
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;
Z:\\-- stable_lib\\Win32\\includes;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

feline Posted - Jun 11 2007 : 11:00:29 AM
Unfortunately I was never able to make any progress here, nothing I tried seemed to cause any problems.

Can you try installing 1557 and see if this makes any difference?
http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

Looking at the sample SDK code I am finding the following fairly large file:

C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe InDesign CS2 4.0.2 Products SDK\\source\\sdksamples\\codesnippets\\SnpXMLResolutionHelper.cpp

which is 1.1meg and 18,649 lines long. Do you have this file on your system?

If you open this file do you see problems?
Do you still get problems if you open this file on its own?

If you can reproduce the problems with a file I have access to then we can work from there, and try to work out what is causing this problem.
mnd Posted - Jun 11 2007 : 08:09:40 AM
I'm sorry for answering so late I've been away in the last month. I have problems even with small files (under 2k lines).
Have you got news on this problem?
feline Posted - May 11 2007 : 07:50:12 AM
The size of the project its self should not matter, since only one file is being parsed. When this happens does the current file have many #include lines?

What sort of size is the current file? Are you seeing this problem with 10 line files, 2,000 line files, 50,000 line files?

I did notice that most of the sample files I opened were quite small.

Does this happen with all files, or only certain files?
mnd Posted - May 11 2007 : 02:45:19 AM
Well, I have 97 projects in my solution, every one being an InDesign plugin.
The problem start to occour when those files, that are read-only because they are under scm control, becomes read-write and I start editing it.
In the status bar I can see "Parsing xxxx.cpp" message with xxxx being the file I'm editing.
I have to remind that I'm using a single core 2Ghx laptop.
When VAX is so slow responding, all the other features are not working well, for example autocomplete does not work immediately, it takes some time to recognize newly written words, also autotext (I use the "if" autotext a lot) does not work if I type too rapidly.

regards,

- mn
feline Posted - May 10 2007 : 7:29:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by khb

Anyway, It doesn't make a difference when toggling this option. If the IDE gets slow, the "speed of the IDE" stays the same in both cases.

Do you have any idea what is causing this problem? Any clues, any idea where to start looking for the problem?
feline Posted - May 10 2007 : 7:22:27 PM
mnd do you have any ideas where to focus my attention? There are 60 directories in samples, and no projects.

I have created a new VS2003 solution, and added 13 new projects to it, each one holding a sample project. This gives me a total of 192 code files.

I have opened and scrolled through every cpp and .h files I have added, and so far there are no problems at all.

Adding all of the other projects is going to take a while, and so far I have no idea what to focus on to find this problem.
khb Posted - May 08 2007 : 05:52:57 AM
Alright, I was aware of that option. But I wasn't sure if this was meant by "disabling the IDE's intellisense". Anyway, It doesn't make a difference when toggling this option. If the IDE gets slow, the "speed of the IDE" stays the same in both cases.

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - May 07 2007 : 07:29:54 AM
khb see this FAQ:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

mnd I will have a go at this and let you know what happens.
khb Posted - May 04 2007 : 10:51:41 AM
Ehem, just a stupid question: How do I disable the IDE's intellisense?

Regards,
Marcus.
mnd Posted - May 04 2007 : 03:46:45 AM
I'm developing plugins using the InDesign SDK, so I think you can create a visual studio 2003 solution with all the samples that comes with the SDK and you can try to walk around the sources and try to modify them to see if VA is able to help you with the autocompletion and see if navigating trough the sources is gonna to have 100% cpu spikes.
Another sign of "bad things" is that when you go over interfaces (i.e. pure class definitions defined in single .h) you are not able immediately to use ALT+G to go to its definition (sometimes it takes some time to recognize it and sometimes they are never recognized).

Hope this helps.

- mn
feline Posted - May 03 2007 : 3:19:28 PM
mnd I agree, that basically proves the problem is with VA. I have gone back over this thread and found the test case we had for the last problem, but this is still fixed for me in VA 1555.

I have the SDK "AdobeInDesignCS2402ProductsSDK.exe" on hand to install on a test machine if this is likely to help.

Do you know if this problem shows up in sample applications that come with the SDK? I am looking for any way for me to reproduce this easily using code I already have access to.
mnd Posted - May 03 2007 : 07:43:31 AM
Hi,

I have the problem with all the files I'm using.
You can see from the start of this thread which kind of files I'm using.
All the files use a lot of template (defined in the SDK) and a lot of macro (also defined in the SDK).

I can also confirm that build 1544 does not exhibit the problem, in fact I have switched back to 1544 because it was impossible to work with those spikes.

Kindest Regards,

- mn

P.S.

of course I've not changed Visual Studio preferences before (or after) the switch to 1544 so it shouldn't be a problem with NCB, intellisense or whatever because 1544 is unaffected.
mackomilos Posted - May 03 2007 : 04:46:58 AM
Just for the information (that this problem isn't related only to khb), I'm encountering exactly same issues. After some period of time the IDE becomes slower and slower (there is a problem also with small files, about 70 lines), only restarting the IDE helps (with NCB file deletion). Today I completely turned the intellisense off, I'll post the result whether it helps or not.
khb Posted - May 02 2007 : 12:52:18 PM
I always have the IDE's intellisense enabled. Of course, something could have gone wrong with the IDE. But it happend the first time for me today, that it got that slow. If it happens again I will try disabling the IDE's intellisense. Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - May 02 2007 : 11:08:54 AM
Have you disabled the IDE's intellisense? It is very tempting to blame this problem on the IDE its self, and not VA, since VS2005's intellisense parser is behind a lot of speed problems people have.

mnd since you are using VS2003 this is unlikely to be the problem, but could you try closing the IDE and deleting the NCB file in the root directory of your solution, just to see if this makes any difference?
khb Posted - May 02 2007 : 11:02:55 AM
The code I'm working on has not many templates, just some STL containers. The files are not even very large. It seems to happen on all files. My impression was that the IDE got slower and slower with the time. I restarted the IDE and now its working better. I'll keep an eye on it if it happens again.

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - May 02 2007 : 10:31:43 AM
Are you two getting this problem with all code, or only with some files? Normally these problems are tied to specific files, normally very heavy template code.

Is there any chance of getting a single file for testing purposes that demonstrates the problem?
khb Posted - May 02 2007 : 08:42:50 AM
I'm also facing some performance problems with 1555. Scrolling through the code is extremely slow! If I constantly scroll my mouse wheel up and down I also get a CPU usage of 100%. I'm using VS2005, Win XP, no other add-ins.

Regards,
Marcus.
mnd Posted - May 02 2007 : 04:24:15 AM
Starting with build 1544 (or 1543, I can't remember well) I'm still exeperiencing the problem!
It is not usable anymore....I'm experiencing those spikes (100%) on the cpu that is preventing the editing to be fluent.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1555.0 built 2007.04.26
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2008.03.07
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\includes;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\architecture;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\cjk;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\colormgmt;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\graphics;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\incopy;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\interactive;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\interactive\\ui;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\layout;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\tables;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\text;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\ui;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\utils;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\workgroup;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\interfaces\\xmedia;
C:\\build\\tayen\\int\\contrib\\Adobe\\InDesign\\ID-4.0\\source\\public\\hlaincludes;

Library Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

support Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 6:25:50 PM
Parsing of certain templates no longer slows IDE in build 1442.

Parsing of Loki is fixed as well.

cases 965 and 984.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000