Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 build 1434

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bugfix Posted - Nov 26 2005 : 12:05:16 PM
1.)
#define X "a.b"
Tooltip and defintion dropdown show #define X "a::b"
"::" is clearly wrong.

2.)Curly brackets still borked
-Indention:
|    blub();

putting { results in
{
    |   
}    blub();

- Empty line insert:
putting { on empty gives
{
    |   
}

This one is driving me really nuts. Can't we simply get
{|   
}
(old behaviour) back?

3.) Managed crap:
Y -> System.Security.Cryptography.DSAParameters.Y
C -> System.Diagnostics.SymbolStore.SymLanguageType.C
D -> System.Security.Cryptography.RSAParameters.D
E-> System.Math.E

Should I continue?:)
If it's a clean c++ project why is managed stuff included at all?

4.)
template <typename T> class x{}; T -> colored as var
template <class T> class y{}; T -> colored as type

In both cases its detected as forward decl which is wrong and results in T globally visible.

5.)
Is there a command line switch for installer that skips vs2005 installation? E.g. I want VAX only in vs2003 for now.

-bugfix

xp, vs2003, c++, vax 1434
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 5:53:38 PM
Fixed in build 1524:

Template typename is no longer bold as if a local variable. (case=908)
bugfix Posted - Mar 10 2006 : 04:36:07 AM
I agree having too many options isn't the right way to go but changing behaviour of an application one got used to over the years ain't it neither.

-bugfix
feline Posted - Mar 09 2006 : 4:55:46 PM
there is already a case for this, but i am not sure what the resolution is going to be, we are very reluctant to add more options than required

case=898
Uniwares Posted - Mar 09 2006 : 10:48:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bugfix

... an option like "use old style curly brackets handling"?

You've got my vote
bugfix Posted - Mar 09 2006 : 07:31:26 AM
Was there some change in 1442 regarding curly brackets handling? If not will there ever be made an option like "use old style curly brackets handling"?

-bugfix
AdyR Posted - Mar 02 2006 : 09:51:26 AM
This just shows what an impossible task it is to please everyone, as I like the way the curly braces work. It means the cursor is ready for me to start typing the new stuff.
If I want to put braces around existing code I just highlight it and then press { and it does everything for me. I find the times when the surround selection option works against me are fairly rare and in those cases I just hit delete before the other key.
I agree that in the case where text is already on the line:
for (;;)
| blub();

it should either ignore the second brace or move the existing text below the second brace to give:
for (;;)
{
|
}
blub();

Any way these are just my views to put in the pot.

bugfix Posted - Feb 20 2006 : 11:15:55 AM
Or you do like me installing 1301:)

-bugfix
ether Posted - Feb 20 2006 : 07:10:41 AM
That requires too much thought. ;) I will wait until they restore the old behavior, or I will have to uncheck the "Insert closing" in the settings and go back to doing that manually.
feline Posted - Feb 19 2006 : 08:51:22 AM
thats reasonable. as someone else who dislikes the mouse i can relate to this. you may want to try the following. in the IDE map the command "VAssistX.InsertAutotext" to a keyboard shortcut.

once you have done this select several lines of code and use this keyboard shortcut. you will get a popup menu showing you all of the autotext rules that operate on a block of selected text. here i am getting 23 of them, which is a fair number to scroll through. however if you select the correct item it will wrap your selected code in an if block.

if this suits you then it is a fairly simple matter to edit the autotext rules (via this menu or VA options) to take out the items you do not want, and to tweak the formatting of the items you do want.

the down side is that to make this work how you want you need to do a bit of configuring, but once you have done that you may find this to be very useful. certainly i could not get by without autotext
ether Posted - Feb 17 2006 : 06:53:07 AM
No, I haven't. Mostly because I don't use all of the tricks that VA provides. I typically us VA for intellisense, inserting closing paren/brace/bracket, coloring and underlining of unknown vars/funcs. There may be a few other features that I would miss if they were gone, but right now I can't think of them. Everything else that I do uses my custom macros with key bindings so I don't have to touch the mouse, for the most part.
feline Posted - Feb 16 2006 : 4:19:01 PM
i have upped the priority on this for you. appologies for the delay, but there are quite a lot of outstanding bug reports *sigh*

in this particular example have you considered using the "surround with if" autotext rule?
ether Posted - Feb 15 2006 : 1:24:54 PM
What's the word on this?

Here's a modified version of his point 2 that really points to this as a bug.

I started out with this:

n = (long)v;

if (n & lMask)
{
	*pbMatch = true;
	break;
}

I then tabbed the code over and inserted the top if statement to get this:

if (v.vt != VT_NULL)
	n = (long)v;

if (n & lMask)
	{
		*pbMatch = true;
		break;
	}

I then moved to the line containing n = (long)v; and enter { and got this

if (v.vt != VT_NULL)
{

}	n = (long)v;

if (n & lMask)
	{
		*pbMatch = true;
		break;
	}

This was certainly not what I wanted to happen! I wanted this:

if (v.vt != VT_NULL)
{	n = (long)v;

if (n & lMask)
	{
		*pbMatch = true;
		break;
	}

so I could modify it to get this:

if (v.vt != VT_NULL)
{
	n = (long)v;

if (n & lMask)
	{
		*pbMatch = true;
		break;
	}
}

Can this be escalated, as I've been fighting against this for far too long now.
feline Posted - Dec 01 2005 : 3:14:35 PM
Y coloured as a macro in the 3rd screen shot - based on the visible code Y is an undefined type, so VA really has no idea of what to make of it.
bugfix Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 5:33:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
are you getting this effect in more sensible code? if so then can you post an example piece of code illustrating this?

Have you noticed in the 3rd screenshot that Y is colored as macro? I think this is related to managed types somehow.
I don't have a better example, from time to time symbols are colored wrong and when I look at context field I often see managed types.

quote:

i do not understand the problem with VA installing its self in VS2005.
what is the problem that you are trying to solve?

I'm not trying to solve anything particular. I just want to evaluate/test a virgin vs2005. And since vs2005 is pretty new and VAX is considered beta I want to wait a while before anything touches VS.
I remember older VAX installers had a checkbox per VS install where one could choose from.
Anyways, it's not that important but in general I don't like to be forced to use something. Like the curly bracket thing this almost made me switch back to some 13xx release and I'm still considering it. I bought VAX w/ a "decent" curly brackets handling but now it's borked.
Sorry if it all sounds mean I really like VAX:)

-bugfix
feline Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 4:37:12 PM
bugfix, point 2 - i have put in a case about this, since for other variations on this theme a closing bracket is not insert.

case=906

after a degree of fiddling around i have pinned down the two template problems you are seeing. the template type being forward declared

case=907

the class type being shown as a local variable when using the "typename" keyword

case=908

so far i can only get the .NET types in the context field with the code:

static void testFn()
{
    C apple;
    D banana;
    E fred;
}

which is using the undefined types "C", "D" and "E". given that these are undefined it is no wonder that the context field is not accurate. are you getting this effect in more sensible code? if so then can you post an example piece of code illustrating this?

i do not understand the problem with VA installing its self in VS2005. it takes about 30 seconds to go into the Add-In manager and disable VA. it would probably take longer to work through the questions the installer asked if it asked about which IDE's to install VA into. i have 3 IDE's on most test machines, and am considering having 4 installed. plus this means that any user who answers no to the question then has to re-install VA to make it work in there IDE.

what is the problem that you are trying to solve?
feline Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 3:06:48 PM
i have put a note on the case for the blank lines between curly brackets asking about making this an option. due to the number of IDE's that are supported, and the way VA is written each option turns into a large amount of code to write and maintain. plus we try to have the minimum number of options, so that VA "just works".
ether Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 09:08:19 AM
That would be nice.
RhinoBanga Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 07:18:16 AM
The simple solution to make sure it caters for both coding style camps ... make it an option.
ether Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 07:11:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RhinoBanga

quote:
Originally posted by rsim

quote:

- Empty line insert:
putting { on empty gives
{
    |   
}

{|   
}
(old behaviour) back?

I totally agree with that one - it's very unintuitive behaviour.

Conversely that's what I want as I put brackets on empty lines.

Yes, but not everyone starts coding on the line after the brace or even indented from the brace.
Ex:
if (x)
{   dosomething();
}

or
if (x)
    {
    dosomething();
    }

This is why the old behavior is more desirable: it is more usable by a broader user base.
RhinoBanga Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 03:36:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rsim

quote:

- Empty line insert:
putting { on empty gives
{
    |   
}

{|   
}
(old behaviour) back?

Conversely that's what I want as I put brackets on empty lines.
bugfix Posted - Nov 29 2005 : 6:04:36 PM
about point 2.
Here is a more practical example:

gives me

VAX tries to be too clever. I think it shouldn't insert the closing bracket or at least put "blub" in a new line, maybe correctly indented, so one can simply cut&paste the moved code line(s).
FWIW, I've disabled surrounding selection feature because I had problems w/ XPath and other things like sometimes I want selection to be replaced with e.g. / or {.

about point 3+4.
I just did an empty project, added a cpp and see whats happening:)
Seems there is even more going wrong then I first reported.
- X and x are colored wrong.
- Y and y are colored wrong.
- Z and z are colored ok. yay:)

about 5.
Thats not an option. I want vs2005 untouched from VAX for now. No offense, it's nice to get vs2005 for free but I just don't want to be forced to. Also disabling VAX every 3-4 days when new beta comes out is too much hassle.

-bugfix
feline Posted - Nov 29 2005 : 4:59:18 PM
bugfix, your points first

point 1 - confirmed

case=897

point 2 - indentation, if there is white space between the caret and the following text then i get the same thing you are reporting. however, what do you expect to happen, and why? the text ends up in a funny place, but you are getting VA to insert a closing curly brace in a funny place.

point 2 - the blank line between curly brackets, this is not the first time people have commented on this. i have tried hard to get used to it, and i cannot get used to it either.

case=898

point 3 - what are you doing? in a non managed C++ project i have added the test code:

int Y;
int C;
int D;
int E;
E = 3;
C = 2;
D = E + C;

and there is nothing managed about any of the tooltips or definition field descriptions i am seeing. using VA 1434 and VS 2003.

point 4 - colouring, i cannot reproduce this:

i have tried both in a .cpp and header file.

can you provide some context / information on what you are doing with the problem of T becoming globally visible, i am not following you.

point 5 - have you tried IDE tools menu -> Add-In Manager
and then un-tick Visual Assist, so that it is no longer run on startup?

there is no installer option that i know of for this.
ether Posted - Nov 29 2005 : 11:41:32 AM
Yes, please bring back the old brace behavior!!!! I am fighting with it more than embracing it. It is slowing down my coding.
weshunt Posted - Nov 28 2005 : 3:30:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bugfix5.)
Is there a command line switch for installer that skips vs2005 installation? E.g. I want VAX only in vs2003 for now.

I would also like to see an installer option for picking the installations to put VAX on. Perferably with a hook to the control panel's "add/remove programs" so that clicking the "Change/Remove" button will allow you to add/remove versions when you want to. The user should be given the choice for things like that.
gstelmack Posted - Nov 28 2005 : 09:57:13 AM
I'd also like to see the "bracket on empty line" behavior restored to its old behavior. Half the time I'm copying-and-pasting some code into that block, and I have to delete the extra inserted line.
rsim Posted - Nov 27 2005 : 05:06:41 AM
quote:

- Empty line insert:
putting { on empty gives
{
    |   
}

{|   
}
(old behaviour) back?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000