Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Back / Forward Behavior

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swinefeaster Posted - Mar 29 2006 : 4:45:39 PM
i'm assuming this behaviour is fully implemented by VAX for vc6, but vc8 has its own implementation which is used instead of VAX's, correct?

i noticed that after switching from vc6 to vc8, both with VAX installed, that the quality of this back/forward behaviour has decreased... seomtimes it seems to forget where i was and skip back too far in the history.

is there any way to use the VAX implementation in vc8? maybe an option would do it...?

thanks
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jpizzi Posted - Apr 06 2006 : 01:22:12 AM
I'm not sure what to say, here. When I try this in all three versions, I get the forward and back behavior in VS 6 and VS 2003 (but, I also have VSMouseBindings installed, although disabling that doesn't seem to change this behavior), but I do not get the bahavior in VS 2005. Since VS 6 does not have forward and back feature without VA, I rely on VA for that feature. However in VS 2003, I rely on the built-in feature, not VA. I haven't used VS 2005 enough to know how I will depend on this there. I suspect that it will be the built-in.

I see your point, swinefeaster, but since VS 6 doesn't have a native feature at all, I suspect that the IDE change is affecting this, not anything in VA, although I don't have enough insight to know for sure.

case=1122
swinefeaster Posted - Apr 05 2006 : 4:55:10 PM
i see what you are saying, but all i know is that the behaviour is *different* in vc8 from the way it was in vc6 (which worked very well). in vc8, VAX sometimes gets alzheimers.

i have a macro that adds a new include to the current cpp file. it skips to the top of the file. in vc6, i was able to just hit the mouse back button and it would go right back to the part in the code where i was editing, so i could resume what i was doing. in vc8, VAX no longer remembers that part, and when i navigate back, it skips back too far. this is really annoying :(.

in terms of the alt+o (i assume you have that mapped to OFIW?), works fine with the mouse back button in vc8.

swine
feline Posted - Apr 05 2006 : 3:49:30 PM
your comments are interesting. ignoring the mouse totally, and simply looking at VA's navigate forward and backwards toolbar buttons in VC6 they capture up and down movement, but in VS2003 and VS2005 they do not.

check out the last paragraph on this page:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/navigate.html?more=yes

if you do an alt-g jump, or an alt-o and then use the navigate back button on the VA toolbar this works for me in both VC6 and VS2005. what happens with the mouse buttons under these conditions?

after all, if VA does not think there is anywhere to navigate to, the mouse button is never going to work, even if it is detected.
swinefeaster Posted - Apr 05 2006 : 2:50:28 PM
ok i've quantified it just now:

vc6 (with VAX):
1. open up a multipage file
2. press Ctrl+End
3. press the mouse back button
result: cursor goes back to home position

vc8 (with VAX)
1. open up a multipage file
2. press Ctrl+End
3. press the mouse back button
result: nothing
even invoking the actual VAX NavigateBack button does nothing either.

(I can email a video of this if you want)

Thanks

Matus
jpizzi Posted - Apr 05 2006 : 12:46:25 AM
I have VS 2005 installed and a MS 5 button mouse. What is the desired behavior? What is the behavior you are seeing? I am having trouble finding this in the thread.
feline Posted - Apr 04 2006 : 4:31:23 PM
doing this without the ability to run any tests myself is difficult, all i can do is make wild stabs in the dark. i have asked support about this, perhaps they will come up with something.

have you looked into the power toy? my understanding (never having used it) is that it allows you to map these extra mouse buttons to actions inside the IDE, which would seem to be exactly what you are after. however i have no idea if it will work in VS2005.
swinefeaster Posted - Apr 03 2006 : 6:52:00 PM
no you cannot remap them in the keyboard page, hence my whining :)
feline Posted - Apr 03 2006 : 5:25:36 PM
i personally have not checked how this message is handled, since i do not have access to the VA source code. i have enough to do already

since i do not have a microsoft 5 button mouse i cannot directly test this myself, but it was possible that something other than VA was causing this effect. i do not recall every seeing it mentioned that VA handled extra mouse buttons, so i was not assuming that it did.

it seems that in VC8 the IDE is picking up these buttons its self. does this mean that you can re-map these mouse buttons in the IDE tools -> options -> keyboard dialog?
swinefeaster Posted - Apr 03 2006 : 3:22:43 PM
ether:

ok i just tried it

in vc6 without VAX the mouse buttons do nothing
in vc8 without VAX the mouse buttons behave the same way as with VAX installed...

thanks
ether Posted - Apr 03 2006 : 2:55:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you tried both VC6 and VC8 without VAX installed to see if maybe the IDE is what has changed? I know that Microsoft likes to change their feature set frequently and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that they are handing WM_XBUTTONDOWN/UP in both apps and changed the behavior from one to the other.

Just a thought.
swinefeaster Posted - Apr 03 2006 : 1:09:46 PM
ok i don't see how using a PowerToy has got anything to do with this... have you checked with the developers how this is implemented in VAX for vc6? i bet you anything they use WM_XBUTTONDOWN, which has nothing to do with any special mouse binding powertoys, etc....

cheers
feline Posted - Apr 02 2006 : 3:31:30 PM
there is the mouse button powertoy:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/Workspaces/releases/viewuploads.aspx?id=f020dba1-ada0-41a3-b15b-cd433c0e3f9e

and search for "VSMouseBindings" on this page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/12/VisualStudioAddins/

i do not have such a mouse myself, so i do not know if this will help you with VS2005, but it might.
swinefeaster Posted - Mar 30 2006 : 5:00:08 PM
sorry, but there is no such app. i am using a standard MS optical mouse with scroll wheel and back/forward buttons. this generates a WM_XBUTTONDOWN message, and must have been trapped by VAX for vc6, but now vc8 is taking it over.

see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/userinput/mouseinput/mouseinputreference/mouseinputmessages/wm_xbuttondown.asp

and check with your developers.

thanks
support Posted - Mar 30 2006 : 4:36:00 PM
We mistook your original reference to back and forward as our versions of navigation, i.e. Alt+Left Arrow and Alt+Right Arrow.

Like you, we assume the mouse buttons are initiating the MS back and forward commands.

Try the control panel or app that lets your assign commands to your mouse buttons. Tell it to send Alt+Left Arrow for the left button, just for VS 8.
swinefeaster Posted - Mar 30 2006 : 1:07:27 PM
and how is this going to affect the behavior of the back/forward mouse buttons?
support Posted - Mar 29 2006 : 10:33:42 PM
We made a mistake. Try unassigning the Alt+Left Arrow for Edit.CompleteWord, not View.Forward.
swinefeaster Posted - Mar 29 2006 : 5:32:00 PM
hmmm this won't work, because i use my back/forward mouse buttons, or sometimes the special buttons on the keyboard.
support Posted - Mar 29 2006 : 5:29:15 PM
Try unassigning View.Forward in VS8.

Use Tools|Options|Environment|Keyboard

Tell us if this works.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000