Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1524: Highlighting references

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
khb Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 04:26:53 AM
I tried the Find References feature and have two probems. First, all references found have the green reference symbol, no matter whether they are on the left or on the right side of an expression. Second, the highlight option doesn't work for me at all. Enhanced syntax coloring is activated, I even tried to change the default highlight colors, no effect.

I'm using VC6, Win XP, no futher add-ins.

Regards,
Marcus.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
khb Posted - Nov 14 2006 : 11:11:40 AM
Ok, I'm back at work. And the result window now works for me correctly. Thank you!

Regards,
Marcus.
support Posted - Oct 30 2006 : 12:23:15 AM
Case 2365 is fixed in 1540.
feline Posted - Oct 12 2006 : 07:48:29 AM
I have bumped the priority on this case, hopefully this will help a bit. Unfortunately I have no estimate on when this will be done though.
khb Posted - Oct 12 2006 : 02:26:07 AM
Regarding case 2365, is there any change that it gets fixed in one of the next builds? I normally close windows when I'm done with them. Then the result window always stops working, also still in build 1538. That's quite annoying...

Regards,
Marcus.
khb Posted - Sep 07 2006 : 01:59:36 AM
Thank you, feline! You're doing a good job!

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 6:56:30 PM
unfortunately not *sigh* it has been just a little manic for me the last few months, but this is still on my list of things to think about.

looking at the results window, and thinking about this, a check box does seem to be the best solution. adding some form of clickable column header is not really ideal. i have put in a feature request for this

case=2402
khb Posted - Sep 06 2006 : 02:16:20 AM
All right. Anyway, have you already had some time for giving the sorting idea some thoughts (see your first post on this page)?

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Sep 05 2006 : 4:25:17 PM
i see the same effect, which seems to be caused by how focus is returned to the find references result window, at least for me.
khb Posted - Sep 05 2006 : 07:32:08 AM
I just did a lot of clickings, but I can't reproduce what you describe. However, I found out what causes the result window to freeze in my case: If I double click on a reference and then close the window that pops to the front, i.e., that contains the reference, then the result window stops working.

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Sep 04 2006 : 6:37:27 PM
after a bit of experimentation i can reproduce this without waiting.
if i double click in find reference results to jump to something, and then double click on a different result in find reference results then nothing happens.

however if i left click into Find Reference results first, avoiding any of the code lines, and then double click on one of the results then it jumps just fine.

this does not happen if find reference results (and the output window) are docked. can you try this, and see if how you change focus between the floating windows matters?

case=2365
khb Posted - Sep 04 2006 : 02:37:09 AM
It's floating and not in docked view. Last time it happend to me, the results window was open all the time. I think this was the scenario in most of the cases when the window stopped working for me. As I said, I closed and reopened it to make it work again with build 1533. However, in former builds (e.g., 1524) I had to re-run the find to make it work again. So it is easier to recover from the problem with the current build, but the problem is still there.

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Sep 02 2006 : 1:44:37 PM
is your find references result window pinned open or floating?
i have never seen this happen, and i use find references a lot, but i have the results window set to autohide.

when you close the results window are you just using the VA toolbar button to bring it back, or are you re-running the find?
does time, simply leaving it a while, or using the window a lot seem to be the trigger for it stopping working?
khb Posted - Aug 30 2006 : 07:22:38 AM
Case 1427 reappeared for me in build 1533. I.e., after some time double-clicking items in the reference results window will not lead to an jump to the corresponding source code line any more. However, the workaround to close and reopen the find window works for me.

VC6, Win XP, no further add-ins.

Regards,
Marcus.
khb Posted - Aug 09 2006 : 02:05:23 AM
Thank you, feline. I understand that you try to avoid options. However, this feature doesn't need to be in the general options. I think a new check box (e.g., called 'Sort by name') next to the 'Highlight all' check box would de the trick. But that's just an idea...

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 7:18:56 PM
sorry about that, your reply about sorting got overlooked *oops*
i do my best to keep up with everything that happens on the forum, but occasionally things escape my notice. i will give this some thought and see what i can come up with. we try very hard to avoid adding options, which sometimes complicates things.
khb Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 02:39:28 AM
Great, thanks! However, what's about my idea regarding sorting references (see my last post). Isn't it worth a consideration any more?

Regards,
Marcus.
support Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 01:17:37 AM
Case 1379 is fixed in build 1531.
khb Posted - Jul 02 2006 : 12:19:51 PM
Well, the most important thing for me is that I can easily reproduce a unique sorting order. However, sorting the list by file name (not by file path) would be best for me. For example, I have a file name in mind and if the list is sorted by file name, I can find it most easily this way. In many cases, when editing X.cpp I often have to edit X.h, too. If these files would be in the list one after the other, I could handle them together without jumping in the sorted list. So, what do you think?

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Jul 01 2006 : 12:26:33 PM
case 1427 is reported as being fixed again, so hopefully the fix will show up in the next build.

sorting the list, i think i see what you are after. the only problem is what does sorting mean? most of my code is stored in "src" and "include" directories. i don't know who thought this would help, but there we go. as a result i have the files. when sorted:

C:\\code\\code\\include\\database.h
C:\\code\\code\\include\\datetimeEdit.h
C:\\code\\code\\src\\database.cpp
C:\\code\\code\\src\\datetimeEdit.cpp

throw in a few hundred more files, and you have a mess.

are you looking to have the list sorted by file path, or by file name, ignoring the file path? plus, are you going to need or want to reverse the sort?

it would be nice to keep this fairly simple, if possible.
khb Posted - Jun 29 2006 : 05:48:35 AM
Regarding case 1427: It still happens to me in build 1526. This time I used only a single instance of VS. In the last hour the Find References window stopped working three times. Closing and re-opening didn't help. Had to initiate a new search.

Regards,
Marcus.
khb Posted - Jun 29 2006 : 02:46:56 AM
Whoops, 4 answers. Thank you for that. I think the main problem is solved with the fix of case 1427. And thanks for the restore tip: I added the Find References Results button to the VA toolbar.

Regarding the re-ordering issue: I wasn't aware that the current file is always placed on top while the rest of the list is always in the same order. Mainly because I re-initiated the search in the file I was currently editing without taking notice of its name. Sorry for that. However, if you could add a button to absolutely sort the result list in the Find References window that would be great anyway. For example, I initiated a search on X.cpp and wanted to compare the references found to that in X.h, so I had to search for X.h in the list as both files were not shown in succession. Another example: I search for references to X, then search for references to Y, and finally I search for references to X again. Then I'd like to have the results for X to be in the same order for both searches, independently of the file where I initiated the search. A sort button would really help here. What do you think?

Regards,
Marcus.
support Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 10:59:45 PM
Case 1427 is fixed in build 1526.

Find References Results window does not go "idle."
support Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 10:55:32 PM
Note: the results of a completed find can be restored without restarting a search. See the Miscellaneous section at the bottom of:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/findReferences.html?more=yes
support Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 5:53:51 PM
I think the reordering is because the file you initiate the Find references is always first, after that it looks sequentially throught the projects.

The origional bug of needing to issue another find should be fixed in 1526.
feline Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 5:40:35 PM
using a single instance of VC6 i am not seeing this re-ordering problem. the current file is always placed at the top of the list, but apart from that the rest of the list is always in the same order for me. the current file disappears from its normal place in the list, but this is the only difference i can find so far.
khb Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 11:06:04 AM
Regarding case 1427 (see above): I heavily used Find References and had to re-initiate it several times on the same variable after the Find References window stopped working. As I moved through my code, I re-initiated Find References on different instances of my variable. As a result, the order of the references shown in the Find References window (i.e., the order of the files where the references where found in) was different each time. This is especially annoying when you try to work off the list of references.

Therefore: Can the list of references (i.e., order of files) in the Find References window be sorted so that Find References always produces the same result on the same variable?

Regards,
Marcus.
khb Posted - Jun 27 2006 : 02:07:05 AM
You're welcome! I thank you for the great support.

Regards,
Marcus.
feline Posted - Jun 26 2006 : 2:11:07 PM
doing this also fixes highlight all for me, and i have an off white background colour. it does indeed look like an initialization problem, i have passed this fix on to the developers. thank you for this
khb Posted - Jun 26 2006 : 03:42:02 AM
Addendum: After switching back the font from "Courier New" to "Courier" the hightlighting also works for the "Courier" font. It still works after closing and restarting the VS. Maybe just some kind of initialization problem?

Regards,
Marcus.
khb Posted - Jun 26 2006 : 02:25:09 AM
I got it! The font for my source code windows is "Courier" (I never changed the standard settings). Now, I just changed it to "Courier New" and the highlighting appeared. However, I like the standard "Courier" font more. So, I would be really happy if you could fix the problem for the "Courier" font.

Regards,
Marcus.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000