Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  04:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the Find References feature and have two probems. First, all references found have the green reference symbol, no matter whether they are on the left or on the right side of an expression. Second, the highlight option doesn't work for me at all. Enhanced syntax coloring is activated, I even tried to change the default highlight colors, no effect.

I'm using VC6, Win XP, no futher add-ins.

Regards,
Marcus.

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  04:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addendum: A few minutes after the reference results window is presented, double-clicking its items will not lead to an jump to the corresponding source code line any more. I did not make any change to the source after searching for the references.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have your background colors changed similarly as described in this thread?

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4750

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  11:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I haven't changed the default colors. The background has still the standard white color.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  12:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is your output window? Docked or floating?

Can you send or post a screenshot (GIF of PNG) of your window layout?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, all references found have the green reference symbol, no matter whether they are on the left or on the right side of an expression.

case=1379

This will be fixed in 1525.

Edited by - support on Jun 19 2006 4:06:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  02:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

Where is your output window? Docked or floating?

Can you send or post a screenshot (GIF of PNG) of your window layout?

All windows are floating. I'll send an screenshot of my window layout to [email protected].

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  12:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have your screenshot. Our first thought is to install a German dictionary if comments in your normal programs are not in US English.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/misspelled.html?more=yes&goto=additional

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  12:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We attempt your scenario and do not [yet] see the problem. References are highlighted for us.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  1:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as rather random question do you have the Consolas font from Microsoft installed on your system? just about everyone, except me, is seeing problems with this font and highlight references. you do not seem to be using it, but i wonder if having it installed could be a factor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  02:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the misspelling: Normally my code is commented in English. To produce the problem in an easy way I just set up a new dialog-based application without making any changes to the code. That's why the German comments are there. (I have an English Win XP, but a German VC6 version.)

Regarding the Consolas font: As far as I know, it's not installed on my system. I don't even know exactly what it is

Regards,
Marcus.

Edited by - khb on Jun 21 2006 03:04:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  04:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding my second post in this thread: Can you reproduce the problem? I faced it four times up to now. Currently I'm having two instances of VS started. In each instance I have opened a different project. I'm working on the first project, while searching for references in the second one from time to time. Here, right after the Find References window appears I double click the first reference and VA jumps to the source. Then I work on the first project for a while (e.g. 20 to 30 minutes) and return to the second project to double click the next reference and... nothing happens. As I mentioned before, I didn't make any changes to the second project.

I'm sure the first time I faced the problem I had only one instance of VS open, but right now I can't test it again. I've got my work to do

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  12:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can reproduce the problem in the second post.

case=1427

I even tried to find a work-around by using the technique from topic 4770 (http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4770) to close and reopen the find window. It still did not work. Another find does work, however.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  05:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess you weren't able to reproduce my highlight problem so far (see screenshot above). I tried to highlight references in different projects in the last days and I never saw any highlight effect. As I mentioned in my email containing the screenshot above highlighting also fails when I set up a new dialog-based application and search for any symbol in the generated code. If I can provide any other information that may help you to find the problem, please let me know.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  12:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like support, highlighting references works for me with a default MFC dialog-based project under VC6 and WinXP. There was another report that we could reproduce, but that one appears to be font-specific, hence the question about Consolas. Your screenshot appears to be Courier New, which is what I was using when I tested. Is it?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  09:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
currently highlight does not work for me in VC6, but i have a non white background colour.

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  02:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it! The font for my source code windows is "Courier" (I never changed the standard settings). Now, I just changed it to "Courier New" and the highlighting appeared. However, I like the standard "Courier" font more. So, I would be really happy if you could fix the problem for the "Courier" font.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  03:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addendum: After switching back the font from "Courier New" to "Courier" the hightlighting also works for the "Courier" font. It still works after closing and restarting the VS. Maybe just some kind of initialization problem?

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  2:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doing this also fixes highlight all for me, and i have an off white background colour. it does indeed look like an initialization problem, i have passed this fix on to the developers. thank you for this

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  02:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome! I thank you for the great support.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  11:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding case 1427 (see above): I heavily used Find References and had to re-initiate it several times on the same variable after the Find References window stopped working. As I moved through my code, I re-initiated Find References on different instances of my variable. As a result, the order of the references shown in the Find References window (i.e., the order of the files where the references where found in) was different each time. This is especially annoying when you try to work off the list of references.

Therefore: Can the list of references (i.e., order of files) in the Find References window be sorted so that Find References always produces the same result on the same variable?

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  5:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using a single instance of VC6 i am not seeing this re-ordering problem. the current file is always placed at the top of the list, but apart from that the rest of the list is always in the same order for me. the current file disappears from its normal place in the list, but this is the only difference i can find so far.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  5:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the reordering is because the file you initiate the Find references is always first, after that it looks sequentially throught the projects.

The origional bug of needing to issue another find should be fixed in 1526.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  10:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note: the results of a completed find can be restored without restarting a search. See the Miscellaneous section at the bottom of:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/findReferences.html?more=yes
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  10:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case 1427 is fixed in build 1526.

Find References Results window does not go "idle."
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  02:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops, 4 answers. Thank you for that. I think the main problem is solved with the fix of case 1427. And thanks for the restore tip: I added the Find References Results button to the VA toolbar.

Regarding the re-ordering issue: I wasn't aware that the current file is always placed on top while the rest of the list is always in the same order. Mainly because I re-initiated the search in the file I was currently editing without taking notice of its name. Sorry for that. However, if you could add a button to absolutely sort the result list in the Find References window that would be great anyway. For example, I initiated a search on X.cpp and wanted to compare the references found to that in X.h, so I had to search for X.h in the list as both files were not shown in succession. Another example: I search for references to X, then search for references to Y, and finally I search for references to X again. Then I'd like to have the results for X to be in the same order for both searches, independently of the file where I initiated the search. A sort button would really help here. What do you think?

Regards,
Marcus.

Edited by - khb on Jun 29 2006 02:50:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  05:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding case 1427: It still happens to me in build 1526. This time I used only a single instance of VS. In the last hour the Find References window stopped working three times. Closing and re-opening didn't help. Had to initiate a new search.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  12:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case 1427 is reported as being fixed again, so hopefully the fix will show up in the next build.

sorting the list, i think i see what you are after. the only problem is what does sorting mean? most of my code is stored in "src" and "include" directories. i don't know who thought this would help, but there we go. as a result i have the files. when sorted:

C:\\code\\code\\include\\database.h
C:\\code\\code\\include\\datetimeEdit.h
C:\\code\\code\\src\\database.cpp
C:\\code\\code\\src\\datetimeEdit.cpp

throw in a few hundred more files, and you have a mess.

are you looking to have the list sorted by file path, or by file name, ignoring the file path? plus, are you going to need or want to reverse the sort?

it would be nice to keep this fairly simple, if possible.

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  12:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the most important thing for me is that I can easily reproduce a unique sorting order. However, sorting the list by file name (not by file path) would be best for me. For example, I have a file name in mind and if the list is sorted by file name, I can find it most easily this way. In many cases, when editing X.cpp I often have to edit X.h, too. If these files would be in the list one after the other, I could handle them together without jumping in the sorted list. So, what do you think?

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  01:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case 1379 is fixed in build 1531.
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  02:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks! However, what's about my idea regarding sorting references (see my last post). Isn't it worth a consideration any more?

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000