Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1530: Autocomplete for override and const in .h

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swinefeaster Posted - Jul 13 2006 : 2:38:44 PM
In 1446, I used to be able to type "ov" then hit TAB in an .h file to get "override". Now I have to go "ov" + DOWN ARROW + TAB.

What's up with that?

swine
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Oct 12 2006 : 6:59:58 PM
Case 1773 is fixed in build 1539.
feline Posted - Oct 06 2006 : 4:11:20 PM
this is covered by case=1773, which is still in the queue.

we are adding a registry key option in the next few builds to always highlight the suggestion's. this is not a perfect fix for this specific problem, but it may help.
swinefeaster Posted - Oct 05 2006 : 4:17:13 PM
i'm talking about having the caret just before the ;... still does that.
Uniwares Posted - Sep 24 2006 : 08:52:49 AM
I guess that is closely related, if not the same as, http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5286
feline Posted - Sep 23 2006 : 4:29:24 PM
this makes sense, so long as the caret is in a position where you cannot legally have a variable name. what if i am trying to type:

virtual int overrideMe();

here VA may well decide to suggest "override" as i am typing, but the suggestion should not be highlighted. sometimes these things are not quite as simple to fix as we would like.
swinefeaster Posted - Sep 18 2006 : 3:01:37 PM
hmm well any keywords that are useful in definitions such as const, virtual, override, in my opinion should be highlighted.
support Posted - Sep 14 2006 : 1:48:39 PM
Small comment: VA X doesn't highlight suggestions when you are typing a symbol so you can type Tab and Enter easily. (Many people like to align or format definitions according to some style -- some of them imposed.) As well, definitions aren't often the case where a suggestion does any good. Sometimes, yes; many times, no.

It's not the case that VA X doesn't highlight because it doesn't think its suggestion is good.

You might argue the "non highlighting" should occur while typing one part of the definition and not another, but that gets ugly fast.

This is likely why the highlighting occurs after the semicolon in the example of this thread, but not prior to it.
swinefeaster Posted - Sep 05 2006 : 12:50:25 PM
i know, i understand... :( but it worked really well in the previous builds, and that's why i was hoping you would fix it..

cheers
feline Posted - Sep 02 2006 : 4:32:37 PM
i believe the problem is because VA thinks you are declaring a new variable or class member, so the suggestion is unlikely to be valid.

the feature that suggestion listboxes appear without focus is relatively new, but off hand i do not remember if this was in 1446 or not. if it was added after 1446 this would explain why this is a new issue.

i have bumped the priority on this case for you.

the problem with saying this should be fixed before going for a release candidate is that we have quite a lot of open bugs, with more being added on a regular basis. if we waited until all significant bugs were fixed we would never get anything released *sigh*
swinefeaster Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 2:16:49 PM
perhaps that's the problem, but it's something that was broken in the 15xx builds, as it did work fine in 1446.
SvenC Posted - Aug 31 2006 : 01:54:30 AM
I do not have the keyword "override" in my listboxes at all.
Just looked up that it is indeed a valid VC++ keyword. Using VS2005 + VAX1533
swinefeaster Posted - Aug 30 2006 : 1:02:52 PM
this should be fixed before the build is considered a release candidate...

cheers
feline Posted - Jul 23 2006 : 4:04:15 PM
sorry about the delay, i got side tracked. using your example i see exactly what you describe. in fact even after removing the parameters i see exactly what you describe.

case=1773
swinefeaster Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 7:02:49 PM
YES, every time.

in a header i have:

// Called to perform a command.
// Takes in Info and returns ResultInfo.
virtual void DoCommandInternal(
const CDoCommandInfo& Info,
CDoCommandResultInfo& ResultInfo);

if I put the caret *before* the ; and type "ov", VAX will misbehave as mentioned above.

if I put the care *after* the ; and type "ov", VAX will put its focus on "override" and i can just hit tab.

cheers
feline Posted - Jul 18 2006 : 6:57:57 PM
VA is guessing, since it cannot assume the current file is syntactically correct and is going to compile. anything that boils down to guessing is going to get it wrong some of the time *sigh*

can you reproduce this effect on demand? i have seen the inverse myself, where suggestions are highlighted when i am defining a new variable, but it is fairly rare.
swinefeaster Posted - Jul 17 2006 : 2:36:22 PM
yes that seems the case....

but why would i be trying to define a new variable before the ";" ?
feline Posted - Jul 15 2006 : 2:02:14 PM
are you getting a suggestion listbox (question mark icons) with no higlighted item in it?
if so then VA thinks you may be defining a new variable or function, so the suggestion is there, but probably not valid. before you had to escape the listbox away to correctly enter a new definition.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000