1534: Bug or silly feature?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flyingxu

16 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  10:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VA 1534 in C# project in VS.net2003
when I type 'pub', there is a list box and 'public' is listed there, but when I press enter, public is not automatically typed but the caret move to the next line, I found it really silly, I think it's a bug.
But in C++ project in VC6.0, it's ok.
I check the options in VA, I'm sure I checkec the 'Tab' & 'Enter' to accept suggestion.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1534.0  built 2006.09.02
Licensed to:
  VA X: **
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.6
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.8
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Fixedsys 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

btw, I'm astonished to hear that 1534 is now a released version, not a beta verion. But in my 1534 build0902, there're so many bugs still. At least, the check box of 'highlight all' never works in find reference window.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  8:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when this listbox appears, does it have question mark icons? there is a feature that VA will produce a suggestion listbox (question mark icons) without focus if it thinks you are defining a new variable or function, since the suggestion is probably invalid.

if this is the case simply pressing the down arrow once will give the listbox focus, at which point it can be accepted as normal.

what is your background colour? do you have a non-white global background colour in windows?
try opening and then cancelling the IDE options dialog, this may fix highlighting for you.

VC6 G?? in the IDE options change the font from the default to any other font, and accept this change. Highlight all will now work. You can now change the font back to the original value, and highlight all will still work.

1534 does have various know bugs, it is true, but hopefully they are all fairly minor. having been using the C++ refactoring for a while i personally feel it is a massive step forward from 1446.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

flyingxu

16 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  07:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for my rude post if it hurt anybody. Actually I like VA and 1534's refactor functions, that is why I paid for the renewal fee.

I tried as your suguestion, and I find an interesting hint:
if the suggestion list doesn't get highlighted, press enter will move caret to next line, but as long as the suggestion is highlisht(by down arrow key, or it will get highlighted automatically), tab & enter are ok.
Maybe it's a feature not a bug, although I need time to get used to.

quote:
Originally posted by feline

when this listbox appears, does it have question mark icons? there is a feature that VA will produce a suggestion listbox (question mark icons) without focus if it thinks you are defining a new variable or function, since the suggestion is probably invalid.

if this is the case simply pressing the down arrow once will give the listbox focus, at which point it can be accepted as normal.

what is your background colour? do you have a non-white global background colour in windows?
try opening and then cancelling the IDE options dialog, this may fix highlighting for you.

VC6 ?in the IDE options change the font from the default to any other font, and accept this change. Highlight all will now work. You can now change the font back to the original value, and highlight all will still work.

1534 does have various know bugs, it is true, but hopefully they are all fairly minor. having been using the C++ refactoring for a while i personally feel it is a massive step forward from 1446.

Go to Top of Page

John_H_Bergman
Tomato Guru

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  11:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is interesting...

Is this a bug in VA or Visual Studio?

John H. Bergman
CTO
SiliconZone

[email protected]

To Send email, remove the .online.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  2:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am having the same trouble here, but C++ and VS2003. It sometimes happens for C# too, but not as frequent.
Its not related to highlighting or background colors, VAX simply comes up with an "idea" instead of a solid suggestion. Happens frequently for items like true, false, C++ instructions, and many other things. Its immensly disturbing. I already stopped using enter to complete a suggestion, since more often than not I end up undoing the inserted newline.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  10:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had a very nice case that demonstrates how it goes wrong:
code was
void ShutdownProcess(HANDLE hProcess)
{
	CShutdownEvent	shutdownEvent;

shutdownEvent.Pulse();
	::Sleep(30 SECONDS);
	::CloseHandle(|);
}
At the caret position I typed "h", VAX came up with e suggestion list containing only hProcess, not selected and with a question mark as icon. Typed "P", the list flashed, came up again with the same contents but this time with the entry selected but still with the same icon.
The option "Guess Contents..." doesnt make a difference and "Include bits of code..." is disabled. I have now enabled "Get content from default intellisense", lets see if that makes a difference.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  12:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried that code in a C++ project. The same thing happened with me: when I typed the h, it came up with a suggestion listbox that includes hProcess (in my case, it also has something else), with nothing highlighted. If I then type P, the box changes, it is still a suggestion listbox, but, just like you, the box contains hProcess, and it is highlighted. If I hit Enter or Tab, either one, the suggestion is accepted. Is this part failing for you? I do not have "Get content from default Intellisense" checked.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  01:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the demonstration. case=2494
the parser is temporarily confused and misinforms the suggestion listbox.

void TestSuggestion(HANDLE hProcess)
{
::CloseHandle( ); // type h after paren-space, suggestion is selected
::CloseHandle(); // the h after paren, suggestion is not selected
}
Go to Top of Page

flyingxu

16 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  11:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so my suggestion is that:
when there is only one item in the sugguestion list, highlight it automatically.
otherwise it's really confusing
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  8:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What worries me is that it fails very often for really simple things, like autotext entries (true, false, etc) or standard functions (crt, win32).

I am seeing often that it also selects rather a possible shorthand than an exact match in the list. e.g.:
typing max, the upcoming list contains various things like m_MyAbusiveXtension, MasterAbstractionExtention, maxValue, maxType - vax will now rather highlight m_MyAbusiveXtension than the first exact match maxValue. Also annoying, this worked already nicely.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  02:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uniwares: Is that a suggestion listbos (with the question mark icon), or an autocompletion listbox? Build 1534 has a fix when it is an autocompletion listbox.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  08:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Autocompletion list. If that is the fix, I didnt like it.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  12:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fix was to have exact matches and prefixes show up first. If this is not happening for you, then maybe the fix isn't complete.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  08:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It actually seems to do the exact opposite - match anything before matching exact matches. At least in most cases.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  4:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uniwares, are you doing most of your work in C# at the moment? i am not noticing this effect with VS2005, VA 1534 and C++, but i don't know why.

it could be something about my code, or it could be something to do with C# vs C++, or something else again.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, pretty mixed. Mostly C++ under vs2003 and C# under 2005.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  11:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you say this is happening with completion listboxes, i am wondering if i don't recognise this since i mainly see suggestion listboxes (question mark icons) in my own code.

are you manually triggering the completion listboxes via CTRL-SPACE or a toolbar button?
or are you mainly getting them after typing a dot or double colon?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  1:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manually triggering (ctrl+space) brings often weird results, completion lists which contain pretty much everything, except what you expect at the moment. Often I see them filled with data members from other classes, they match the name but thats all, no relation in any sense.
I am not sure, but I guess that there was some change in the way those lists are associated now, you type for example m_n and it comes up with a suggestion list, type another letter, the list flashes, changes it s contents, etc. There is where happens the problem with (not) selected entries, at which point it changes to a completion list I am not sure, its really hard to keep track during coding. And I am really not blessed with enough time to get into the real fine details of it at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2006 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typing
str
I get suggestions randomly of string or String under C#. No pattern, just really random which one gets selected.
Same with pri (which should be private when declaring a function) I get just about anything from PlatformNotSupportedException to PriorityList and private somewhere. argh...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  02:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=2494 is fixed in Build 1614
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page