Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Lack of suggestions with tricky C++ template type

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
studoot Posted - Aug 18 2006 : 04:32:36 AM
I've just upgraded to build 1532 and this very slight deficiency of VAX is still present...so, here goes:

When I use the Boost.Optional template class (see http://www.boost.org/libs/optional/doc/optional.html), VAX does not present me with the appropriate member suggestions when using -> to access the encapsulated type.

Now, Boost.Optional uses a pointer like syntax to represent the concept of an optional value, so in some ways it's like a smart pointer type - and VAX can handle smart pointers (boost::shared_ptr, at least!).

Here's an example:

#include <boost/optional.hpp>

struct TimeStamp
{
u32 seconds;
u32 microseconds;
};

typedef boost::optional<TimeStamp> OptTimeStamp;

OptTimeStamp ot1;
ot1->?

Pressing Ctrl+Space here yields no suggestions, but I would expect to see 'seconds' and 'microseconds'.

Now, I've had a look at the Boost.Optional code...and it's reasonably straight forward, but something's acting as a barrier between VAX and the appropriate type declaration - it might be the use of Boost template metaprogramming facilities, specifically boost::mpl::if_ that gets in the way?

Anyway - I suppose this is a nice to have :-)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 19 2006 : 10:53:22 AM
template support in VA is getting better, but as you have just discovered it still has its limitations. thank you for the clear example, i was able to reproduce the problem quite easily here.

case=2154

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000