Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Versions

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mike ONeill Posted - Apr 15 2010 : 01:43:43 AM
Hi

I see currently a 2010 RC version and the normal 2008 version, will we finish up with one version to cover all Visual Studio versions once you do te final release or will we have to keep 2 versions running ?

Mike
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Apr 15 2010 : 5:41:38 PM
I see. The reason we don't use the addin xml file is unrelated to vc6. I don't know if using an addin xml file would work for us in the older IDEs (we are an extension, not an addin in vs2010 so it's irrelevant there). I'm not sure if the xml file works with native COM addins. As far as I understand, that support was introduced with managed addins and we just never went there.
Nobodo Posted - Apr 15 2010 : 5:21:09 PM
Quoting from the MS link that is referenced in these forums as the reason this issue exists:
quote:
"Addins that use a .addin xml file located at:
<userprofile>\\My Documents\\Visual Studio 2005\\Addins
are supported properly."

See:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8356&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=%3Cuserprofile%3E

There I ask why VAX can't add an addin xml file to the installation so the addin manager would work correctly and was told "Remember we also support VC6, which works quite differently."

Thanks,
Mark.
sean Posted - Apr 15 2010 : 1:42:22 PM
The integration we are thinking of would be more along the lines of a single download that does the two separate installs.

VC6 support will not hinder VS2010 support - as it it right now, the two installs have the same core VA dlls in them (hence the same version numbers).

The add-in manager in Visual Studio does not support HKLM installed addins per design by MS - the failure of the addin manager to be able to manage the VA addin is not due to VC6 support.
Nobodo Posted - Apr 15 2010 : 1:31:24 PM
Personally, I hope you do not integrate them. The fact that VC++6 is still supported has been quoted in several threads as the reason why the installer does not support needed items like the ability to actually use the add-in manager on VAX. If there are separate installers then perhaps these limitations could be a thing of the past?

Thanks,
Mark.
sean Posted - Apr 15 2010 : 11:40:20 AM
1738 is our current general release, but does not support VS2010.

1819 is the current release candidate and it supports all IDEs. However, it has separate installers for VS2010 and all other IDEs. For IDEs other than VS2010, installation requires administrative privileges and modifies HKLM. VS2010 installation does not require administrative rights and only affects the user account of the person installing.

We are looking into producing a common install for all IDEs going forward. Until that happens, we will continue to have separate installers of the same version.

We also plan to host the VS2010-only install on the Visual Studio Gallery.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000