Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Colors wrong 1st time VS started after upgrade

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nobodo Posted - Jun 07 2010 : 12:01:02 PM
I've seen this on the last few builds, including 1823 and 1825.

When I download/install a new version, then start Visual Studio, the personalized settings for colors in "Highlight references using ..." are not being used in the IDE in spite of still being present in the VAX options - Advanced - Refactoring. It is highlighting the references, but with the default colors and not the personalized colors.

I then exit Visual Studio, and restart. Now the personalized settings are used in the IDE.

This happens each time on the first start of VS after an upgrade of VAX; close VS and restart, and the colors are correct. Yes, all instances of VS are closed during the install.

VS2005 - WinXP Pro.

Edit - I am talking about the "Automatic highlight references to symbol under cursor". I use this feature constantly, so notice when it isn't giving the correct colors :)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 03 2010 : 5:34:07 PM
What we are seeing also suggests this is an IDE bug, one that so far we have not been able to work around.
Nobodo Posted - Aug 02 2010 : 1:55:23 PM
Wow, that is an easy workaround. I appreciate it; much quicker than restarting on a large solution.

I have noticed this same problem on other extensions also, so I believe it is a VS bug and not a VAX bug.
feline Posted - Jul 29 2010 : 12:17:49 PM
Thank you for the extension name. I have reproduced the VA custom colour problem on installing a 3rd party extension, and I am now waiting for the next update of Code Map so that I can check the problem with updating a 3rd party extension.

I have updated the case with these details.

I have also found a work around. Instead of restarting the IDE go into the IDE Options dialog -> Font and Colors node, and then press the OK button. This should fix the VA custom colours for you. Please note that you need to use the OK button, the Cancel button does not fix this. There is no need to make any changes in the options dialog.
Nobodo Posted - Jul 26 2010 : 1:09:30 PM
Note - I have found that 'VS10x Code Map' has an update every couple of days, so would be an easy one for you to install to test this. It is free, and available on the Visual Studio Gallery ( http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com ).
Nobodo Posted - Jul 26 2010 : 12:58:04 PM
Any extension, not just VA.

For example, I just this morning pulled up VS2010 and was notified that one of the extensions updated, and prompted to install the update. I did that, and as usual the extension manager prompted that a restart of VS was needed, and it offered to do that. I let it restart VS.
After restart of VS2010, when I click on a variable in a code windows I get the light baby blue and light pink colors that VAX has as a default for highlighting references, instead of the customized colors that I can actually see at a glance.

Installing or updating ANY VS2010 extension causes this. It doesn't seem to matter if VS2010 is open or closed when any extension is installed or updated, the problem appears the next time vs2010 is started. To work around the problem I have to install or update the extension, start VS2010, see the problem is there, close VS2010 and restart again.
feline Posted - Jul 22 2010 : 2:17:41 PM
Just to be clear, when you say install a new extension, is this a new version of VA, or are you seeing this problem when installing some other, unrelated extension?
Nobodo Posted - Jul 21 2010 : 09:53:31 AM
I am seeing this problem in VS2010 every time there is an update to any installed extension, or a new extension is installed.

Steps to reproduce:
Open VS2010
Get notification that an installed extension has been updated.
Install the update.
Close VS2010
Restart VS2010
The highlight symbol under cursor will use default VAX colors for the setting, not customized colors.
Workaround:
Close VS2010 AGAIN.
Reopen VS2010, VAX will use customized colors.

Another way to reproduce:
Install a new extension.
Open VS2010.
accord Posted - Jun 08 2010 : 3:34:44 PM
I was able to create a scenario where it's happening consistently:

case=45526

I'm not sure if it is a VS or VA problem, but for now you can restart VS after you update VA as a workaround, when this problem occur. There are cases when this problem doesn't emerge after update.
Nobodo Posted - Jun 07 2010 : 3:21:41 PM
I believe this may be the same issue reported here:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9065

When I originally reported in topic 9065 I might not have realized that the workaround is to exit VS and restart. I probably dug in right away trying to fix the colors on first start of VS after VAX upgrade.

So basically, this problem with custom colors appears when you:
  • Exit VS
  • Install a new version of VAX
  • Restart VS
  • Open a solution, note colors are defaulted in editor.

The workaround is:
  • Exit VS
  • Install a new version of VAX
  • Restart VS
  • Open a solution, note colors are defaulted in editor.
  • Exit VS
  • Restart VS, note personalized colors are present in editor.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000