Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Autotext in ASCX

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
msmith Posted - Mar 14 2006 : 10:10:22 AM
Autotext works great in ASPX files, but doesn't work at all in ASCX files. This would be really nice to have!
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 15 2006 : 5:08:02 PM
*sigh* in 1445 autotext is working for me just as expected, in a <script> block, in an HTML file, with the wizard bar not showing. i am not sure i am making any progress here.

can you post a small screen shot showing autotext working for you in an ASPX file, and the file content please? maybe this will help to shed some light on what is going on here.
feline Posted - Apr 15 2006 : 4:58:47 PM
the change in 1445 is deliberate

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4091

i am going to ask support to see if they know what might be going on here.
feline Posted - Apr 15 2006 : 1:41:06 PM
using VS2005 and VA 1445 i have created a new ASP.NET website, using C#, on the file system. if anything this has gotten worse in this build, since i can no longer get the wizard bar to show in an ASPX file.

i have created the same new project with both VS 1444 and 1445, but i can only get the wizard bar to show in 1444.

having said that, i was thinking back over this thread. are you really talking about autotext? or are you talking about suggestion listboxes? autotext is triggered on specific shortcuts that you edit and setup via the options dialog, while suggestion listboxes list recent or likely bits of code. your example of the HTML table would be a good example of how to trigger a suggestion listbox.
michael.smith Posted - Apr 13 2006 : 11:05:06 AM
It's the same for ASP.NET Web Site and Empty Web Site. I am using Visual C# for my language.
feline Posted - Apr 10 2006 : 6:14:13 PM
*grrr* i have just seen autotext trigger in an HTML file outside of a script block. something is going on, but so far i have not been able to really pin it down.
feline Posted - Apr 10 2006 : 2:24:59 PM
interesting. do you know the type of website project you are creating? using VS2005 the top level options i am given are:

* ASP.NET Web Site
* ASP.NET Web Service
* Personal Web Site Starter Kit
* Empty Web Site

for "ASP.NET Web Site" which seems to be the default i get the language options "Visual Basic", "Visual C#" and "Visual J#"

given jpizzi also had problems getting this to work i suspect the project type might be important. i would like to see this "working" before i put in a bug report, it makes it a lot easier to test the bug fix this way
michael.smith Posted - Apr 10 2006 : 09:24:42 AM
No I do not place my code inside of a script block.
When I open Visual Studio 2005 w/ VAX 1444, and create a new WebSite. For ASPX files, autotext works correctly and I get the VAX Wizard Bar. But for ASCX files, no autotext and no VAX Wizard Bar. I tried using your example, and for ASPX files it works correctly, with and without the script block. But neither work in an ASCX file. Thank you for taking the time to really look into this :)

Here is my Autotext Setup for <TR and TR
tr>
<td>
$end$
</td>
</tr>
feline Posted - Apr 09 2006 : 2:36:09 PM
right, after running through a rather long series of tests of this, starting with VA 1301 i can now report success

i have been using a test file with the following content:

<script>

</script>

<TABLE>
<tr>
<td>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
</TABLE>

notice the script block at the top, it is important. if the VA wizard bar (context and definition fields) is not visible i cannot get autotext to work at all in HTML files. if i open a C++ project and get the wizard bar to show in a cpp file it remains visible when i move into a HTML file.

once the wizard bar autotext will ONLY trigger inside the script block, and not outside of it.

this is working quite happily in VS2005 with VA 1444. if i rename my test file to be "testing.aspx" then i get the same results.

once i rename my file to be "testing.ascx" i cannot get the VA wizard bar to show, and i also cannot get autotext to trigger. i suspect one is causing the other.

msmith, the question becomes, do you place your code inside a script block when writing ASCX files? it seems you must be placing the code inside a script block in your ASPX files, but this is not mentioned in your html sample.
jpizzi Posted - Apr 07 2006 : 11:35:50 PM
With my fresh install of VS 2005 and VA 1444, I can get no autotext for ASPX files, either. I even had to manually show the VA toolbar. I did this in a new "ASP Web site", which creates a default.aspx. I wonder if the ASP support recognizes aspx in VS 2005 as documented, or if there is some documentation that I (and feline) am missing?

I tried inserting the table as michael.smith suggested. In an aspx file, I could get nothing with <tr. But once I finished typing <tr>, I got the closing </tr>. I am guessing that this is raw VS, not VA, although I have not used asp with VA or VS before to know any better.
feline Posted - Apr 07 2006 : 5:46:55 PM
looking at this thread again i have spotted my error, i was testing in an asCx file, while i should have been testing in an asPx file. so i have changed the file extension and opened this test file in VS2005, but i still cannot get autotext to trigger, using your sample code this time.

next i tried a .HTML file, but that did not help. so i opened a C++ project and added an html file, which gave me a .HTM file, but still no sign of any autotext.

all of this is in VS2005 with VA 1444.

repeating the .HTM test with VS2003 and VA 1444 i am still seeing no sign at all of autotext. i have tried various autotext triggers, and it is not happening.

i am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the test system i am using. or else there is some setting in the IDE that is getting in the way of autotext working.
michael.smith Posted - Apr 06 2006 : 12:56:32 PM
If you put the following in your ASCX file....
<TABLE>
<TR>
<TD>

</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

Then insert a new line after the </TR> type <TR and then hit Tab Tab, it should populate from the VAX AutoText. It does not. None of the AutoText pieces that work in an ASPX file trigger. You can see what I mean by doing the above in an ASPX file.
feline Posted - Apr 03 2006 : 3:30:06 PM
i already tried that. i presume that i am overlooking something, due to the fact i never do any web development programming. i have created a file called "testing.ascx"

i opened it in VS2005 and i typed the following:

<HTML>
    <script>
    ////
    true;
    TRUE;
    switch()
    {
    }
    while()
    {
    }
    </script>
    <body>
    </body>
</HTML>

somewhere along the line something should have triggered an autotext suggestion, but nothing did. can someone point out the basic mistake?
support Posted - Apr 02 2006 : 11:44:42 PM
Try inside <script></script> blocks.
feline Posted - Apr 02 2006 : 2:05:16 PM
for these tests i am using VS2005 with VA 1444

in VA's edit autotext i am seeing HTML and JavaScript, both of which seem reasonable candidates for a ASPX file. however when i type the trigger strings for autotext entries nothing is happening.

i am testing this inside an ASPX file that a VS2005 ASP .NET web service project produced. can you post, or point me at a small amount of code i can copy / paste into an ASPX file that will allow me to trigger autotext? also which type of autotext are you triggering?
michael.smith Posted - Mar 29 2006 : 1:59:24 PM
an ASCX file is 100% identical to an ASPX file. So everything that is supported in an ASPX file for intellisense should be available in an ASCX file.
feline Posted - Mar 21 2006 : 3:44:40 PM
after prodding VS2005 a bit i have found both ASPX and ASCX files, but so far i am not seeing much sign of autotext. remember i never use ASPX files, so what sort of things are you doing to trigger autotext?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000