Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Smart function completion

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
graham.reeds Posted - Oct 22 2007 : 08:21:24 AM
This suggestion was reminded to me after reading Inquisitor's suggestion and is based on one that is present in Eclipse (one of the few good features).

Mine is slightly different - enough to warrant a thread if it's own.

I regularly call functions that take several parameters - a classic case is that of CreateEx. 7 parameters. Now you get the tooltip with the option to check the various overloads which is very helpful, but my suggestion goes one further. If you press, say ctrl-enter after typing the opening bracket (eclipse does it automatically) it fills in the fields with a set of defaults - usually pretty poor choices like arg1, "arg2", 'arg3', ARG4, etc. depending on the expect value. When this feature is activated the first argument is selected, so when you are typing you automatically overwrite the first option. Pressing tab then jumps you to the next argument and that too is highlighted ready for changing.

It's kind of intuitive after a while and one reason feature I would like other IDE's to copy.

The smart feature could be that it checks the previous lines for suitable defaults - VAX does a very good job of guessing what I will be expecting, so this goes slightly further and actually puts them in for you.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
graham.reeds Posted - Oct 22 2007 : 2:47:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
At a practical level Tab would be a problem for me, since I like to accept suggestions (e.g. suggested parameter names) with Tab.

Then that would simply accept that argument and move onto the next.
feline Posted - Oct 22 2007 : 2:01:06 PM
We are considering adding a feature to suggest all of the arguments in one go, based on local variables with matching names. Not quite the same as what you are talking about, but close:

case=7200

At a practical level Tab would be a problem for me, since I like to accept suggestions (e.g. suggested parameter names) with Tab.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000