Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Goto Definition fails on explicit operator bool

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kram Posted - Oct 08 2021 : 10:56:23 AM
Hello,

Goto Definition works if the cursor is on the operator keyword but not the bool keyword.

namespace test_2
{
    class c
    {
    public:
        operator bool() const {
            return b;
        }

bool b;
    };

bool g(const c& p)
    {
        return p.operator bool();
    }
}
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 11 2021 : 1:34:22 PM
I didn't know you could call overloaded operators explicitly like this, but it makes sense, seeing it done and running some tests on it here.

I am not entirely sure that this is a bug, since in general using alt-g on the keyword "bool" doesn't make any sense, but since it is part of the operator, and it is the function name, I have put in a bug report for this. But this does illustrate the general point that Alt-g on overloaded operators is a bit tricky.

case=146308
Kram Posted - Oct 08 2021 : 1:13:02 PM
Nothing clever, it's just explicitly calling the operator bool.
I use it mainly during Native Unit Tests as the Assert::IsTrue / IsFalse won't accept a std::shared_ptr without an explicit conversion. This is due to the explicit operator bool declaration. I suppose that I could have just cast it.
feline Posted - Oct 08 2021 : 12:03:28 PM
I am seeing the same thing here. At the risk of asking a silly question, what is "operator bool()" doing? Are you actually overloading casting the class to a bool, or is this doing something else?

Plus, I don't think I have ever seen an overloaded operator called like that before.

Just when you think you are starting to get to grips with C++

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000