Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Code Correction/Underlining not working properly

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadow Posted - Oct 25 2021 : 06:59:38 AM
Hello,

I recently purchased Visual Assist and loving it so far. However, one thing i've noticed that's bugging me is the Code Correction / Underlining seems to be not working as i would expect.

To Prefix, i'm working with Unreal Engine and as recommended, i've disabled intellisense. However, by doing so, im relying on Visual Assist for Underlining Unrecognized / out of context symbols which doesn't seem to work as i would expect?

For example, Here i'm attempting to use a variable which isn't defined until a few lines later which obviously isn't allowed. I would expect this to be underlined as it is when using intellisense, however in Visual Assist, its not.

> intellisense underlining undefined indentifier.

> Visual Assist not recognizing the undefined indentifier

Additionally, if i'm trying to use a method which shouldn't be allowed. For example, a method which modifies a string, but the string im calling it on is const. I'd expect this to be flagged as well since its not legal, similar to how intellisense flags it.

> intellisense underlining function as its not legal

> Visual Assist not recognizing the same

Is there some settings i've missed or is this just not a feature of Visual Assist?

For some additional context, i do have underlining enabled in the Visual Assist settings and it does work in some situations. For example, if i try to use the `enemey` variable outside of the if statement, it gets underlined.

> Visual Assist Underlining out of scope variable

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shadow Posted - Oct 26 2021 : 08:51:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Unfortunately VA does not try to perform these sorts of checks on your code. Our parser is designed to run quickly, and to understand and help you with code as you are working on it, so code that is incomplete and does not yet compile, since that is the natural state of code you are working on

These checks require effectively trying to "compile" the code, since you have to really understand the code and what is going on here.

This is something we are starting to explore with VA's Code Inspection checks, but they don't currently check for things like this, since the compiler is going to flag issues like this for you.

That make sense! Thank you
feline Posted - Oct 26 2021 : 07:48:46 AM
Unfortunately VA does not try to perform these sorts of checks on your code. Our parser is designed to run quickly, and to understand and help you with code as you are working on it, so code that is incomplete and does not yet compile, since that is the natural state of code you are working on

These checks require effectively trying to "compile" the code, since you have to really understand the code and what is going on here.

This is something we are starting to explore with VA's Code Inspection checks, but they don't currently check for things like this, since the compiler is going to flag issues like this for you.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000