New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2003 :  11:35:42 PM  Show Profile
http://www.wholetomato.com/x/downloads/VA_X_Setup1208.exe

We think the beta is going well. Albeit the number of reports might be daunting, their severity is minor. We expect to fix everything in due time.

We are able to install and run on most systems. Larry is always the exception. Feedback on features is generally positive.

Fixes in 1208 include:
Fixed disappearing toolbar in VS.NET.
Better suggesting of arguments.
Better VSIP integration for VS.NET 7.0, aka 2002, (VA View behaves better.)

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - support on Dec 19 2003 3:39:30 PM

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  08:53:38 AM  Show Profile
You know, my mom says the exact same thing...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  1:48:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Albeit the number of reports might be daunting, their severity is minor.

Sorry, but in this point I dont agree. Some of the bugs are severe. Many of them are either making a new feature mostly unusable, or achive the opposite and make you type even more than without VA. Some are just irritating.

In general, VA6 is yet miles ahead of VA X. While the HCB might be a useful feature (once it works as expected), the completion/suggestion lists are lacking the usefulness of VA6.

I would say that many of the fixes since 1201 are of minor severity. There are still some huge issues open since the first betas.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  2:18:08 PM  Show Profile
I think there's a disconnect at this point between WT's expectations and ours.

From WT's point of view, the Beta is only a few weeks old, and there have really been very few hideous bugs reported. I'm talking about things like crashes, corrupting our source code files, Registry hosing, forcing us to re-install MSVC, etc. Also, I've haven't read yet of anyone saying that any of the new features are just plain stupid, wrong-headed, and a waste of time. So for a Beta, that ain't bad.

From our point of view, there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't work yet. I agree that I'd prefer to use VA6 over VAX right now. But, we just have to have faith that these bugs will get fixed over time.

And not to keep harping on this, but I think part of our frustration is that, while we can see you working on some bugs (because we interact with you), other bugs we have no idea what's going on with. Also, I personally always feel like there are more bugs than there really are, especially when I can't see a list of them - I think that's just human nature. I have this nebulous image in my head of a pile of bugs, but no idea how big the pile is. If we had access to just your "Issue Number", at least I'd have a way to track my issues, and I could check them off as you finished them. (It would also make talking about issues a lot simpler.) Of course, I could just number my issues myself - in fact, I think I'll do that.

Just my two cents...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  2:23:24 PM  Show Profile
Am sure that almost everything will be fixed, WT has a good history of bug fixing. And I know how hard it is to get a product out of the door, thinking it runs pretty nice... until its installed at the customers site.
And for sure we have different weightings for bugs. Not that "my" bugs are more important than others, but cosmetic bugs are cosmetic bugs and should be fixed way after everything else works.

Another two cents...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  5:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Larry is correct. Our view holds that very few hideous bugs have been reported.

We record all bugs and attempt to give them some sort of priority. An issue such as symbols not appearing in "Find Symbol in Workspace" gets a higher priority than being able to type in the Edit field at the top of our HCB. (FWW, you can type in our Definition field of VA 6.0.)

Though we appreciate your interest, we are highly unlikely to give you access to our bug database. Once things settle, we'll certainly generate a list of known problems. Ideally, all but the most minor cosmetic issues get included.

We are keen on making VA X a better product than VA 6. Let us know what issues make you want to return to VA 6. If all of them, think of the top ten.

With future reports, you are welcome to tell us if you think the bug is critical. Though one can make an argument that all bugs are critical, just tell us if it ought to be one of the next ten we fix.

We appreciate all of the feedback.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000