New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2003 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile
The Ctrl-space option only displays members from the derived class (and not from the base class) in a situation I wouldn't expect it to have a problem with.

I pasted a bunch of code from another class into a method. The code didn't make much sense inside that method, so I had some editing to do. So, I positioned the caret to just before the code I had pasted, and started typing. The bug is, when I tried to enter "m_p", and then Ctrl-space to get the members list (to select m_pTreeCtrl from), only the members from the derived class appeared in the list: the members in the base class - like m_pTreeCtrl - didn't appear.

The only way to force it to appear was to comment out the code I had pasted in, and reparse. I can send you the files if you want [for my own reference, this was in RowLevel::DoEditThing()].

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2003 :  1:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I have some interesting info regarding this. I was in a method body, trying to enter "m_p" and then Ctrl-space to get the list of members, and it was failing. So, I started playing around with entering "m_p" and then Ctrl-space-ing at various points in the code, and at some places it failed, and at others it succeeded.

Finally, after some trial-and-error, I figured out - well, not what's making it fail, but what's making it succeed. Sounds odd, but you'll see what I mean from the screenshot I've emailed to the support mailbox with the subject VAX 1210 Topic 1080:

I attempted to enter "m_p" at each of the lines marked with a breakpoint or a bookmark. Breakpoints represent lines where hitting Ctrl-space failed to display the members list; bookmarks are lines where it succeeded. Note that it fails from the first line of this method until suddenly, in the middle of a paragraph of comments, it starts succeeding! This conversion to success is being caused by the presence of a period in the comment line starting with the word "record": if you insert a period anywhere on the *previous* comment line (say, after the word "business"), the conversion to success will happen after that line now.

(The weird thing is, that's not the first period-in-a-comment in that method. I don't know what's special about that particular one... do I smell a state machine, maybe?)

I still can't figure out what makes it start failing, though... you can see from the screen shot that it works okay in the previous method, and then starts failing on the first line of the current method (until it hits a period in a comment). The previous method is also a message handler (CMListCtrl::OnGetdispinfo()), so that may or may not be a clue..

Hopefully this might help you debug the issue...

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Dec 31 2003 1:26:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000