New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  08:47:25 AM  Show Profile
On install of a 1211, it claimed that an instance of VS.NET was still running (but wasn't). I had to click ignore to get it to install. I had previously started VS.2003 and exited, then downloaded the beta, installed the beta and installation thought VS was still running. Appears to be a normal install. Just reporting, not complaining.

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  08:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Ya know, a similar thing happened to me when I first installed 1211... it claimed there was another instance of VS running. I was pretty sure there wasn't, so I looked in Task Manager, and couldn't see it there, but I figured VAX must see something I don't, so I logged out, logged back in, and then it installed without complaint. I wouldn't have mentioned it except it seems to have happened to someone else...
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2004 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile
This has happened again in 1213 on .NET 2002... I've sent a screenshot of Task Manager showing my current processes to the support mailbox with the subject VAX 1213 - Topic 1171. Maybe you can spot the process the installer is complaining about.

[Seconds later...]

As I was rebooting, I decided to exit each running app one at a time, and try the installer's "Retry" button after each one. After I exited my Excel instance (I was editing my XLS file that holds my list of VAX topic ids ), when I hit Retry, it finally went through.

You guys aren't just looking for the word "Microsoft" on the title bar, are you?

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Jan 19 2004 3:39:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  09:55:26 AM  Show Profile
The same thing with Excel still happens in 1215...
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2004 :  1:38:34 PM  Show Profile
The same thing with Excel still happens in 1216...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2004 :  1:47:57 PM  Show Profile
We look for "Microsoft Visual" in the titles of all open windows.

Is this the case for your Excel windows?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  11:38:39 AM  Show Profile
Somehow I missed your response...

No the title bar says, "Microsoft Excel - VaxBugs.xls".

I just tried it with 1220, and it still thinks VS is running. I even tried it with Excel running, but having no XLS file loaded (so the title bar says, "Microsoft Excel").

Just for giggles, I closed Excel, and opened another fine Microsoft product, Word - the title bar says "Document1 - Microsoft Word", and it still thinks VS is open. Ditto for VSS.

Interestingly, it will install if Microsoft Outlook is running. Also it doesn't seem to mind my Notepad instance open with the file "Microsoft is a heartless monopoly.txt - Notepad" in the title bar.

So, I'm stumped, but there's definitely an issue...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  11:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Uhm, one suggestion: all office apps have an instance of the VB macro editor, which might exist as a hidden window and start with "Microsoft Visual Basic -". Outlook does not have this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000