'w' key ignores menu highlight
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

plunket

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  5:55:21 PM  Show Profile
I used to frequently tap Alt then w then w to get the Windows dialog to open in VS.NET. Now, for some reason, 'w' always writes into the edit window (unless I'm debugging) so I cannot use that key shortcut. Tapping Alt followed by any other "menu access" key seems to work fine, it's just that the 'w' does the wrong thing.

Any ideas? This only started happening recently; I don't know if it was the most recent release or since moving to VAX in the first place.

thanks.

-tom!

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  6:47:13 PM  Show Profile
We cannot reproduce the problem. Alt, w, w works as you expect when we try it.

Does timing make a difference? Alt and a single w should highlight the Window menu. Open the menu and make sure "Windows..." will open if you type another w.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

plunket

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile
If I hold Alt while pressing W, the Window menu opens. If I press W again, a W ends up in the editor, and the Window menu stays open. This is in VS.NET 7.0 or whatever. It happens on all of the machines here that I've tried it on, so it's not just my screwy Dvorak keymap. :)

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? I'm kind of a VS newbie, and VA makes up for many of the features that I miss from other editors that I've used. :)

-tom!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  10:24:06 PM  Show Profile
W and W while holding Alt work fine for us.

When the Window menu is open, is the W in the "Windows..." entry of the menu underlined?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  12:01:37 AM  Show Profile
No problems here either. Neither in normal editing nor during debugging.
Go to Top of Page

plunket

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  1:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Hmm. Yep, it happens on all of the machines here, and it is when Alt is not held down. I.e. TAP alt, TAP w, TAP w.

Can I disable VAX without uninstalling it, so that I can see if disabling it gives me my old behavior back? (Nothing popped out at me in the settings dialog.)

Anyway, yeah I see now that holding alt and hitting W twice does "the right thing", but this is not what I was getting at. It would be a sufficient workaround for the short term, though.

-tom!
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  1:23:15 PM  Show Profile
tried it both ways, works fine. although i have seen this kind of behaviour in other (MFC) applications occasionally.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Can I disable VAX without uninstalling it, so that I can see if disabling it gives me my old behavior back.
The penultimate item on the Visual Assist menu.
Go to Top of Page

plunket

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  2:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, disabling VAX is not "sticky," e.g. it does not seem to survive restarting VS.NET. I guess I'll try uninstalling it one of these days to see if that has any effect...

thanks all-

-tom!
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  2:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Wait, don't uninstall yet!

Go to the "Tools, Add-in Manager" menu item, and un-check VAX. See if that helps...

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Mar 16 2004 2:19:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000