VA View bugs, concerns, recommendations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pgibeau

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2004 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile
First of all, greeting everyone. I'm new to the forum, having just recently migrated from VisualAge Smalltalk to VS.Net C#. Anyone whose worked on VisualAge (or Object Studio, or Visual Works for that matter) know that VS.Net is lagging behind in OO tools. I was given the task to find a good class browser for our team and i stumbled upon VA and VA View (VAV).

Here are my first impressions on the tools:

It would be interesting to be able to start multiple instances of the VAV View. You could pin down the context of a few instances (on a secondary monitor) while keeping a docked pined up instance in your main workspace. Great for working with large library or complex framework.

It would be interesting to classify members of a class using the regions already defined in the .cs or .vb. Since its the only way to structure your code in .Net, it would be to bad not to include it in VAV.

It would be interesting to be able to define the scope of visibility of the VAV. By that I mean being able to specify that, for the class being viewed, I would like to see only the members of that class or these members + the inherited ones. Ex. of display:

aClass
-aMember1
-aMember2
-aMember3 (inherited from aBaseClass)

I do not care much for having all the namespaces of the current context exposed. On the other hand, I would love to see inheritance for the class of the context. Ex. of display:

-aBaseBaseClass
-aBaseClass
-aClass
-aMember1
-aMember2
-aMember3

The tooltip of members are usually garbage. It would be interesting to have the same behavior than VS.Net (use the <summary> tag).

Despite all this, I find VAV to be a good step toward a decent OO Class Browser. Now if I could just edit my code directly in VAV, I would be a happy man.

Keep up the good work, Whole Tomato.
Pat

Patrick\r

Edited by - pgibeau on Jan 20 2004 3:36:28 PM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2004 :  3:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Right now, the only way to see methods available to an "aClass" is to type aClass and dot in your code. A complete members listbox appears. Otherwise, we agree. One would like to "define visibility" in the VA View.

We agree we need to update our tooltips to find tags. The item is on our list to do.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000