VAX 1213/.NET 2002: suggestions suggestion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  08:00:47 AM  Show Profile
I have disabled the use of Enter as a key to select the suggestion. This is to avoid any problems with VAX popping up suggestions when I've finished typing a complete word that just happens to be the prefix for other identifiers.

I still get bitten, though, if I've actually just typed the first few letters and have navigated the list with the cursors. Then I press Enter...

It would be good to have some kind of option which if enabled would allow Enter to select suggestions if the user has navigated the selection box. If the selection box was not navigated, assume the user isn't interested and treat Enter according to the existing option.

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  09:48:00 AM  Show Profile
It would be useful too to have separate settings for completion list boxes that the user brings up manually Ctrl+Space/Tab, or perhaps always allow Enter for those. The behaviour for suggestion boxes is annoying only when VAX brings one up without your requesting it. When you're expecting it, you know in advance that your keypresses might get eaten.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  3:19:14 PM  Show Profile
You stir some excellent thought. We are concerned something might be broken, hence VA X is forcing you through loops.

Is the "complete word" you type before pressing Enter a valid symbol?

In what language were [are?] you programming when the behavior is a problem?

If you don't mind us asking, why do you type an invalid symbol, assuming it's invalid, and press Enter. Send a code example if it might help us understand.

When fooA and fooAbar are valid symbols, VA X might suggest fooAbar in a listbox when you've typed fooa. VA X does this if you last typed fooAbar and realizes you need only type a space (or any next character) to select fooA. There is little reason, other than visual, to make fooA the current selection.

Do you have repair case enabled?

Typing fooa and Enter will not make VA X correct case. Enter is special. Case is corrected on most other characters that might follow a symbol, eg space and equal.

Excellent suggestion to make Enter active once scrolling begins. We will make that behavior the default.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  4:50:18 PM  Show Profile
I was programming in C++. My problem came because I needed to type "#ifdef XBOX" -- XBOX is defined not in the source but in the project properties. (Which is presumably why VAX doesn't know about it.)

When I typed "#ifdef XBOX", VAX brought up a list of symbols beginning with "XBOX", but not "XBOX" on its own, and picked one...

I'm glad you're going to add this feature! Any chance of having Enter always enabled for manually invoked completion lists, or perhaps different options for those lists compared with the automatic variety?
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  4:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, to be precise -- when I say "picked one", VAX picked one because I pressed Enter. My fingers run on automatic pilot after #ifdef, as I'm used to VA.NET which (for me) never picks up #defines.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  5:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Great suggestion!

Ran across a very similiar problem today:

Let's say we have a for()-Loop:

for(i=0; i<5; i++)

Now, if we want to re-use the Variable "i" some lines below and give it a new value

i=0;

VA_X thinks it is smart and suggests "i<5", which is automatically taken because you press enter to get a new line.
Instead, you get

i=0; i<5

and a new suggestion (this time it's ";" followed by "i++)" )

I have enabled "Suggest bits of code from surrounding lines", which I really love, but we need some kind of "allowing ENTER for autocomplete only when User activated Suggestion-Popup manually".

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  7:37:22 PM  Show Profile
XBOX does not appear in the suggestion listBOX (sic) because it is not known. It becomes known at compile time, not during edit. Using XBOX in a #ifdef does not make it known. The same applies to _DEBUG. Depending on your environment, if you type #ifdef _DEBUG and accept the suggestion with Enter, you get #ifdef _DEBUG_EVENT in your code.

That said, we see the problem. We asked what language you were using because we could not imagine typing Enter after an unknown symbol. We suspected VB. Alas, you were writing a #ifdef.

We will ponder a bit on this one. Perhaps we do not suggest on #ifdefs, but one gets awfully accustomed to having suggestions at hand.

We will make Enter enabled for manually involved listboxes, and after scrolling, regardless of the setting for the Return option on our Completion tab.

The i=0 example is tricky. VA X suggests a bit of code because it sees an "i=0" earlier in your code. VA X lets you type any character and not accept the suggestion since it must be accepted with tab or return (see the hovering tooltip for the "suggest bits" option.) Unless we make VA X not suggest from a for() statement if you are not typing another for() statement, you might consider unselecting the "Return" option on our Completion tab.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2004 :  02:25:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Unless we make VA X not suggest from a for() statement if you are not typing another for() statement, you might consider unselecting the "Return" option on our Completion tab.

Both options not making me very happy...

I really like the "Enter"-Option, because I'm really "used to" choosing something in a DropDown-ComboBox and pressing ENTER to choose it (see the address-dropdown on Internet Exploder or the new "Autocomplete"-feature of Edit-controls)...

So I'd vote for a "only accept ENTER to choose if the user browsed the Suggestion-Box manually (either with Cursor-Keys or Mouse)" Option.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000