Resolved : No sign of installed Visual Assist X
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  12:13:24 PM  Show Profile
I have installed visual assist X beta, but there is no sign of it. I am a licensed used of VA6 and VANET.

I have VC6, VS 2002 & VS 2003 installed.

When I run VS 2002 or 2003, the only sign of VA X I can see is if I select Tools | Add-in Manager. This lists the following in 2003:
Remotesoft .NET Explorer
Visual Assist X

Both have ticks against them.

VS 2002 also has Converer to C1Command (ticked) and Web Hosting Providder Upload Utility (not ticked).

However, there is no other sign that VA X is installed. It does show the suggestion window but there is no Visual Assist menu, no toolbar and no context window.

Next I uninstalled all versions of VA on my computer (X, NET, 6) and reinstalled VA X. I got exactly the same - a ticked listing in the Add-in Manager list but still no Visual Assist menu, no toolbar and no context window

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James Hebben

Edited by - hebbja on Feb 01 2004 3:30:06 PM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile
Do you mind unloading Remotesoft .NET Explorer and trying a reinstall of VA X?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile
I have unloaded remotesoft explorer and re-installed VA X. Still no menu, toolbar or context windows. However, VA did report its initial parsing of files in the VS status bar, which it was not previously doing.

Uninstalled VA X and reinstalled VA X. I now have the context windows (at the top of the editor window), but still no VA menu or toolbar.

James Hebben
Go to Top of Page

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  3:41:38 PM  Show Profile
I have now unnstalled Remotesoft explorer, just in case. Uninstalled and re-installed VA X. Still no menu or toolbar.

James Hebben
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile
We commend your effort.

During install, VA X launches a command to create a menu and toolbar. The execution is required by our integration using VSIP from MS.

Do mind running the command manually? Tell us if you get any errors. See #6 at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/x/support/faq.html#reset

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2004 :  03:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Running "c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe" /setup generated no visible errors. A devenv icon appeared for a very short time in the task bar. After running, there is no change with the VA X in the IDE: No VA menu or toolbar.

Tried un-installing, re-installing. Still no change: VA appears to be functioning (I have the context windows and suggestion windows), but still no VA menu or toolbar.

James Hebben
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2004 :  2:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Try the following:
regsvr32 /u "c:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist\\VaPkg.dll"
"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe" /setup
"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe" (and then exit)
regsvr32 "c:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist\\VaPkg.dll"
"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe" /setup
"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe"

Did any errors occur when regsvr32 was run?
If not, right-click in the VS.NET toolbar area. (Does "Visual Assist X" appear in the toolbar list?)

Select Customize in the menu.
Select the Commands tab.
In the Categories list, does VAssistX appear (should be between View and Project)?
Do any other items appear between View and Project?
Go to Top of Page

hrun

13 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2004 :  04:56:51 AM  Show Profile
If you install VSIP SDK, you can unload it and try again!
Go to Top of Page

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2004 :  3:28:51 PM  Show Profile
I didn't try sean's approach as hrun (above) has a relevant followup. I had the VSIP SDK installed. I uninstalled it and re-installed VA X. VA X installed fine with menu and toolbar available. Thanks hrun.

Now I am looking forward to using this new version and watching VA take the high ground once again.

James Hebben
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2004 :  3:58:01 PM  Show Profile
When you had VSIP installed then VA X should have been visible in your VSIP environment. Installation depends on the value of your ENVSDK_REGKEY environment variable. In the future, if you have the VSIP installed, unset the ENVSDK_REGKEY environment variable before installing VA X and reset it after install.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000