New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  11:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I deleted all the contents of my C/C++ autotext list (in order resolve an issue where leaving the autotext checkbox unchecked still resulted in things like 'b' coming up with suggestions like 'bool'). I then wanted to put my autotext back to 'factory defaults' to narrow down the issue at hand.

Installing VAX 1215 didn't put things back again, even though - when asked if I wanted to install latest versions - I selected 'Yes' at the dialog. I tried 'No', just incase you had the conditions the wrong way round, but to no avail.

Please fix.. :)

Cheers,
Dean

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  12:56:23 PM  Show Profile
D'oh! This one is painfully obvious. How did we get that wrong? We must have tweaked the code after testing it.

We can reproduce the problem. For now, copy Templates\\Latest\\*.* to Templates\
As for "bool" appearing when you type "b", just uncheck the Autotext button to get started. This does not mean VA X will not suggest bool. Unchecking just means you know VA X will not be consistent about it.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  2:28:59 PM  Show Profile
The whole autotext unchecking thing is the bit that baffles me. In the original report, I saw you suggested this. But I've always had it unchecked (I'm used to not using it, if you see what I mean). But it still always suggests bool. Once I deleted the contents of the C/C++ autotext list, it stopped suggesting bool. So, even with autotext off, surely it must be still looking in there?

Cheers,
Dean
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  5:43:59 PM  Show Profile
You are mixing two features. Disabling Autotext does not stop suggestions, nor can any action other than toggling Autotext force suggestion listboxes to appear or not appear. VA X opens suggestion listboxes when it wants. With Autotext enabled, VA X opens some suggestion listboxes at predetermined times. Without Autotext enabled, you cannot force suggestion listboxes to appear or not.

Type foo on one line. Type f on the next and VA X suggests foo.

We realize you do not like a lot of listboxes. Your only option right now is do disable suggstion listboxes altogether.

What is it about suggestion listboxes you do not like? Too distracting? They hide your code? Contents are lame?

Go to Top of Page

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  03:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Ahh.. it all becomes clear! :) So, the reason bool was being suggested when I typed 'b' is because there was a 'bool' already parsed by VAX - so it would make sense for it to suggest. And when I cleared by VAX cache/data it removed the data that it would have suggested.

And it's not that I don't listboxes. I like them just fine. I just really liked the behaviour in VA6/VA7 where you could stop single small suggestions from popping up all the time (specifically the 'only suggest when I save 'n' characters' option).. As that option has now vanished, I'll just have to get used to small words being suggested, even though the suggestions don't save me any typing.

Thanks,

Dean
Go to Top of Page

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2004 :  06:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Just to let you know, the autotext stuff still isn't being installed correctly when I select 'Yes' (as in the original post in this thread).

Build 1219..

Cheers,
Dean
Go to Top of Page

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2004 :  05:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Bzzzzt. Still jipped in Build 1221.. Autotext for C/C++ not set to latest version, even though I said that it should do it during the installation.

Dean
Go to Top of Page

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2004 :  01:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Sigh... This still happens with 1223. :(

Shall I just stop reporting this? Or do you want me to keep mentioning it on every release?

Dean
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2004 :  10:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Fixed in build 1225.

Go to Top of Page

Dean Ashton
Ketchup Master

60 Posts