Disabling VA View?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cavaler

Russia
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  10:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Is there a way to disable a "VA View" tab in workspace view of VC 6.0 (or others)? Not only it makes all tab labels in that view become ugly clipped, that bright red tomato icon distracts eyes greatly...

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  10:38:28 AM  Show Profile
We cannot find a way to disable the VA View in VC++ 6.0. You can do it in VS.NET by dragging the tab for VA View into the source window (the VA View becomes a window of its own) and dismissing it.

We will consider adding the functionality in a future release.

Our bigger concern is you do not see the value in the VA View. The value should certainly outweigh the distraction and clipping.

http://www.wholetomato.com/x/products/features/vaview.html

If you don't like the tomato in the VA View, you have obviously not tried enabling suggestion listboxes in build 1215.

http://www.wholetomato.com/x/products/features/suggestion.html

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Cavaler

Russia
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  11:01:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Our bigger concern is you do not see the value in the VA View. The value should certainly outweigh the distraction and clipping.

In my humble opinion, nothing can outweigh distraction, be it the most cool feature or anything. Surely, I'll probably find that value, but - probably not, as I didn't find any in Class View.

quote:

If you don't like the tomato in the VA View, you have obviously not tried enabling suggestion listboxes in build 1215.

Interesting thing really. I begin typing "pObject->", and at this point I get a list of members with different icons (VS-like ones, without bright colors). I type m_ (list scrolls), and give up, go to some other place. And then I continue with typing after that "_" - and I get a list with only tomatoes, from VA. Is this a correct behavior?
Yes, I can press Ctrl+Space and get VS-like list, but can't I get it immediately somehow?
Go to Top of Page

Cavaler

Russia
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  11:22:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:

After playing around with it a bit, I can name several features that kill (for me) its value quite a bit.
"Files in workspace": If it were "files in project", then I could understand. But I often have files with the same names in different projects in a workspace (e.g. header file for a DLL in DLL rpoject and project for EXE using it). So selecting that header in the project I need becomes a problem - or I have to switch to "File View".

"Symbols in workspace": Oh, well, if only I could filter out all the MFC symbols out of here! No way finding what you look for among them...

"Hovering Class Browser": I simply get enough info from "Context and Definition" fields at the (in my case) bottom of edit window.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  2:58:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I get a list with only tomatoes, from VA. Is this a correct behavior?

Yes. You have suggestion listboxes enabled in our options dialog. Hover over the option or see:
http://www.wholetomato.com/x/products/features/suggestion.html?more=yes

quote:
"Files in workspace": If it were "files in project", then I could understand.

We agree. For the short term, we intend to sort the list. Hovering over entries give you full pathnames. Having foo.cpp from all projects near each other, with the hovering, will help. Once this is implemented, we will fix the problem for good.

quote:
"Symbols in workspace": Oh, well, if only I could filter out all the MFC symbols...

The list is not really mean for scrolling. Type a few letters to filter the list.
http://www.wholetomato.com/x/products/features/siw.html

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  3:36:52 PM  Show Profile
I have some numbers at the top of my SIW. They probably shouldn't be there.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2004 :  02:39:22 AM  Show Profile
pleas don't remove the "files in workspace" feature (if it works correctly: see topic 1297).
maybe we can switch between "files in workspace" and "files in project"

thanks
m.schoenherr
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  6:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Build 1220 includes an option for VC++ 6.0 users to disable the VA View.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000