Technical Support
 Can't get things to work
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djackman

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2004 :  2:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I just installed the VAssistX beta (build 1215). However, I can't bring up the VAssistX Options. I also can't change the state of "Enable/Disable Visual Assist X". Many other things don't work, either, but I would say these are the most important items for someone who knows nothing about this product.

Did I do something wrong? I'm currently using Visual Studio 2002 (though I happen to have VS 2003 installed but can't convert our projects to it due to some compiler bugs).

Thanks for any help. I don't want to have to give up on this so soon!
..David..

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2004 :  6:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Do you have VAssistX in the menu bar?

Do you have VSIP installed?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

djackman

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2004 :  09:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Yes, VAssistX is in the menu bar. I haven't installed VSIP.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2004 :  1:37:00 PM  Show Profile
This probably goes without saying, but did the install succeed? Did you try a re-install?

Not that you need one, but do you have a valid VA.NET 7.1 and/or VA 6.0 key in your registry?

Might you have a bootleg key in your registry? VA X might load but not like what it sees in the registry.

We apologize if you take offense to our question. We are just trying to debug the problem.

Can you check the following thread? See if the devenv.exe /setup works.

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1346

Go to Top of Page

spectecjr
Ketchup Master

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2004 :  2:02:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

This probably goes without saying, but did the install succeed? Did you try a re-install?

Not that you need one, but do you have a valid VA.NET 7.1 and/or VA 6.0 key in your registry?

Might you have a bootleg key in your registry? VA X might load but not like what it sees in the registry.

We apologize if you take offense to our question. We are just trying to debug the problem.

Can you check the following thread? See if the devenv.exe /setup works.

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1346

Just wanted to add that I'm seeing the exact same behavior here. It worked fine for a while, and then just stopped. About the only thing I can think of that changed is that I started up the system on an airplane with no network connection. IIRC, VA uses the net to ensure that a single key is only used by one person at a time. Could this test be failing, and that leaving the app in an invalid state?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  01:13:09 AM  Show Profile
Does Visual Assist X appear in the Add-in Manager (Tools->Add-in Manager) and if so, is it checked?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2004 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Build 1216 installs properly when VSIP SDK is present.

Go to Top of Page

Iristyle
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2004 :  4:59:35 PM  Show Profile
I am observing the same behavior here with build 1216. VSIP is not installed, and Visual Assist X appears in the add-in manager. I have no problem showing the toolbar, but I can't get to the Visual Assist X options at all -- neither the toolbar button, or the item on the VAssistX menu works. Furthermore, I can't use the Enable/Disable Visual Assist item on the VAssistX menu -- I can click it, but it doesn't do anything.

As far as other add-ins installed, I have CodeSmith Explorer, Custom Help Builder, IBM Explorer (for DB2), ManagedAddIns, NUnit Addin and Window Manager.

I should note that VA.NET used to work great, and I've been a very happy user since VA 6 -- Visual Assist has been one of those totally indispensable tools. However, this new release doesn't seem to be up to par with previous versions.

Beyond the options problem, the suggestion listboxes usually do contain appropriate suggestions, but tab completion doesn't work on them like it used to for Intellisense, nor does scrolling through the list with arrow keys -- so I'm constantly battling with them to enter the appropriate piece of code.

Furthermore, auto-correction is frequently making incorrect choices -- for instance, capitalizing a camel-cased variable name, so that the code becomes the type name instead (i.e. a class instance name of form when the type is Form is incorrectly changed to Form); I've probably struggled most with that particular feature (which IMO used to work pretty great in older versions), as corrections usually happen when typing a . -- which screws up the suggestion listboxes and/or the Intellisense drop-downs. Many times, it also requires some tricky keyboard editing to fool Visual Assist X and get around the incorrect auto-correction.

Also, cyclic paste (Ctrl-Shift-V) is easily one of my favorite features of Visual Studio .NET. Unfortunately, the VAX install has killed this feature in my IDE. I presume this is because VAX uses it's own cut/copy/paste buffer which is enabled by default -- since I can't get to the options menu, I can't disable it.

I apologize if this sounds like a rant, but I did want to make sure someone was aware of these problems, so that they can be fixed in a future release. I understand this is a beta, and growing pains accompany that process -- based on the quality of Visual Assist releases in the past, I trust these issues will be resolved in future updates.

Thanks for your time,

Ethan J. Brown
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2004 :  03:42:17 AM  Show Profile
Previous versions of VA did not use VSIP integration. VA X does, at least for VS.NET users. We suspect one of you other add-ins uses VSIP as well, and the two have a conflict.

Do you know which add-in might use VSIP? Those that do might appear in the splash for the IDE, might create a menu, or appear in Help|About. If you know, try disabling or removing the add-in. See if the conflict goes away. If so, we can work to resolve it. (If you aren't sure, try disabling them all.)

You need access to the options dialog to make Tab select from listboxes, and to disable the VA X paste menu on Ctrl+Shift+V.

Arrow keys should work in listboxes. We suspect another add-in might be stealing the keystrokes. Let us kno what you discover.

We have fixed recently some bugs related to auto-fixing of reserved words in mixed case, eg Set and Get. We have a few more to do.

Go to Top of Page

randywarner

2 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2004 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile
I am having the same problem. Everything was working fine yesterday. I started up VS.NET this morning and no coloring was going on, most of the VA options were greyed out, the VA view window was completely empty. I'm using 1215. It is the only add-in I'm using.

-randy
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2004 :  2:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Randy: Does the problem occur with every file type? Short of extensive debugging, do you mind reinstalling? Get build 1216 while you are at it.

Go to Top of Page

djackman

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2004 :  11:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Iristyle: ManagedAddins is the culprit. When I removed that one, everything started working for me. I don't know what it is about this particular add-in that messes everything up. The site he had the download posted on isn't up anymore (though his weblog is still around). It would be nice if the VAssist people could download ManagedAddins and see what's happening.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2004 :  11:48:24 AM  Show Profile
Given the plethora of other requests for VA X, the fact the site for ManagedAddins is gone and the lack of activity in its blog, we are unlikely to spend any time on ManagedAddins.

There is a library used by several common add-ins, eg wnttabs and workspacewhiz, that overcomes deficiancies in the MS add-in interface when multiple add-ins are installed. Perhaps the author of ManagedAddins needs it. We leave the task to you.

http://www.wndtabs.com/aic/

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  2:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Build 1233 of VA X resolves the initial problem in this thread, ie that VA X installs successfully but none of its features are available when the IDE starts. Menus fail to work. Buttons do nothing. Etc.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000