New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Albert Weinert

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2004 :  5:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

i use Visual Assist now for a long time, and last week i cut down my user rights from Administrator to a normal User (even not a Power User), i did that for security reason. And it works (even Visual Studio), mostly ... But Visual Assist X won't work correctly ... (it is possible that Visual Assist 7.1 also work incorrect).

Everytime i started up Visual Studio, load a solution then every files in the directorys from configuration are reparsed. I think that must not be a feature of VA X :)

The Perfomance-Option "Parse all files when opening a project" is not activated.

I gave the normale User Group write acccess to "C:\\Programme\\Visual Assist X\\vc7". No change in that wrong behavior.

So, what should i do? Working generally as Power User or Administrator is not the solution. This is one of the main security problem of Windows, that Software needs Administration or Power User rights. So that mostly User are working as Administrator or Power User, so that every peace of Software runs in that Context even Worms and Viruses.

Please give me the Information where VA also Write some Information (so that i quickly can use Visual Assist again).
Also, set a right Access Control List at these places on installation (Maybe adding a UserGroup "Visual Assist User"), i think that "you" write also in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

And let the User choose a location where that Data should be stored (Even Templates), so that the User can make the right decision where the data placed. The Program Files and the Windows Directory seems not the right place for such Data.

A new release of Visual Assist seems the right time for such changes :)

Best Regards!

Using: Visual Studio 2002 and 2003, XP SP 1. VA_X.dll 10.0.1215.0

xMRi
Tomato Guru

Germany
315 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  02:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Albert!

Should not be difficult for you to add the appropriate right for the HKLM subtree for VA. Use REGEDT32 on W2K or regedit on XP.

Martin

Martin Richter [rMVP] WWJD http://blog.m-ri.de
"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly written
program is its own hell!" The Tao of Programming
Go to Top of Page

Albert Weinert

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  06:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Martin,

of course, that is no Problem ... HKLM\\Software\\WholeTomate .... has complete Rights for User. But the Problem is still there. So what are the right registry trees, and which are the right direcorys?

It should not be the work of the user to make a software run in the normal User context. This should be an out of the box feature.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2004 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Fixed in build 1216.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Albert Weinert

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2004 :  09:08:39 AM  Show Profile