Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  04:10:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I don't know exactly wheather or not this bug has already been remarked previously.

I have code like:
if (CMyClass* pMyClass=new CMyClass()) {
  //...
  pMyClass->MyFunction();
  //...
}
pMyClass isn't recognized:
- It's coloured black,
- It doesn't appear in the autocompletion listbox,
- No other listboxes appear when I want to use pMyClass.

Could you please look into this matter? Thank you in advance

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

P.S. I'm using build 1215

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile
As an aside, what is this if statement trying to do? Under what circumstance would the if statement ever be false? (Hmmm... maybe you're using your own new operator?)
Go to Top of Page

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  01:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Even regular 'new' may fail (return NULL) in case there is no memory.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  09:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot. This is Microsoft, so the compiler doesn't actually follow the standard... See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccelng/htm/specl_27.asp for more. Ugh...
Go to Top of Page

ChainsaW

Czech Republic
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  10:23:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Oh, I forgot. This is Microsoft, so the compiler doesn't actually follow the standard...

Beginning in Visual C++ .NET 2002, the new function in the Standard C++ library will support the behavior specified in the C++ standard, which is to throw a std::bad_alloc exception if the memory allocation fails.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclang/html/_pluslang_the_new_and_delete_operators.asp

However, you can create a custom new operator that can return NULL value to indicate allocation failure, as described in the C++ ISO specification (3.7.3.1):

If an allocation function declared with an empty exception specification (15.4), throw(), fails to allocate storage, it shall return a null pointer.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2004 :  02:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Beside the interesting discussion on how the code could be made nicer, what about the real matter. The variable inside the if-statement isn't recognized.

Has anyone else seen this?

And could the fine team of WholeTomato, please, do something about it? Thank you.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2004 :  12:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Fixed in build 1218.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  12:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Since it has been fixed I feel OK about rambling on a bit. How do you tell if you have accidentally made an assignment inside a conditional statement? I can't believe that there is any difference in the object code if you do the new just before the if. Not to get around the problem you presented to the Tomato, but to take advantage of some of the checking that is done for you.
Ken

Ken
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  03:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

It's a problem I've encountered when looking through some code that was new for me; it was written by someone else. I do prefer the new before the if-statement, while some others prefer it in the if-statement (it should be a little bit faster). But since I encounter such behaviour (and maybe some other programmers do also), and since I'm used to reading code with all the VissualAssist enhancements, it disturbed me (a little) that every time I encountered a variable that was declared this way, it wasn't treated as a variable.

So I just brought it up.

Thanks to the team of Whole Tomato for fixing this.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000