Reparse still not working in 1216
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2004 :  1:59:25 PM  Show Profile

I don't know if you want me to post this for every build, but reparse still doesn't work properly in 1216 (VS2003, unmanaged C++)

E.g. I define a new variable, then rename it immediately (it goes black), then scroll away from that area of the file before VA colours the variable. New references to that new variable will not be coloured. No amount of waiting or reparsing seems to do anything. Scrolling (possibly back to the var definition, but I'm not 100% certain if you need to do that) seems to fix things.

Something similar happens if you un-comment a definition (or a #define) which has been commented out - references elsewhere don't get coloured, and reparse doesn't work.

Personally, I'd much rather you fixed the manual reparse *before* you fixed whatever other minor bugs are stopping the autoparser. I realise that might not by the WT agenda, though.

1216 is definitely starting to get good, though.

Will

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2004 :  04:21:35 AM  Show Profile
I had one instance yesterday where reparse didn't appear to work. It was actually a file that was already open at the time I first launched the solution. None of the identifiers were in identifier colour, and they remained uncoloured when I pressed the reparse button.

However, I noticed that reparse was actually working because a message flashed in the status bar as described by support in the previous thread. And when I selected a block of text with the mouse, that region was then coloured correctly.

Re-reading the previous thread, I suspect this is probably not the same as your problem. And I couldn't reproduce it. But I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2004 :  09:39:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm starting to think that this isn't a reparse problem, but a repaint one.

Most of the time I have this type of problem, causing the edit window to redraw (e.g. ALT-TABbing away from VS and back again) is enough to fix it.

Could you make manual reparse do a repaint of the edit window, please?

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2004 :  02:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I have the same feeling as Will about this. I've seen the repainting thing many times. But there's something strange about it. When I ALT-TAB to another full screened application, and I return to Visual Studio, the colours are right. But when I then scroll the page to another location, and than back to the same spot, the colours have changed again.

So it doesn't only seems to be a redrawing problem.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

P.S. And I also second Will's opinion that VA X is definitely starting to get good.

Edited by - PatLuja on Feb 28 2004 09:25:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  10:11:11 AM  Show Profile
This seems much worse in 1218. I now regularly have files opened in my IDE without the advanced syntax coloring happening. I don't know if it's a coloring issue, a painting issue, or a reparse issue.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  4:10:22 PM  Show Profile
When the problem happens, does all coloring stop, or just certain symbols defined in the file?

Are you all using VS.NET? East Asian Languages installed? Black backgrounds? Any other clues?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  5:56:24 PM  Show Profile
VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1218.0
Licensed to: [email protected] (1-user license)
VA4 License: [email protected] (1-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.40
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.3790.0
WindowsNT 5.2 Build 3790
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

For me only certain symbols stop coloring properly. I actually had one item (STDMETHODIMP) lose color while I was scrolling, so that the symbol was colored then the the part that had scrolled off lost color leaving part of the symbol colored and part not colored. Losing focus and then switching back fixed the problem. This wasn't exactly a parsing issue (or shouldn't be because STDMETHODIMP is in stable includes).
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

When the problem happens, does all coloring stop, or just certain symbols defined in the file?

Are you all using VS.NET? East Asian Languages installed? Black backgrounds? Any other clues?

In my case all advanced coloring stops, I only get the basic VS.NET coloring (e.g. comments are colored, but no members/variables/classes).

VS.NET 2003, default color settings.

Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  3:50:09 PM  Show Profile
I can add a bit more. If I have a file that is colored properly, starting the debugger seems to uncolor it. If I have a file opened that is not colored, starting the debugger will color it properly.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000