Support UnrealScript
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EvlG
Ketchup Master

56 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2004 :  11:20:13 AM  Show Profile
Now that VAX supports many different languages, game developers like me would love it if the tool supported UnrealScript. The syntax is very similar to C++, with the addition of a few UnrealScript keywords and concepts (like state blocks).

VS 2008, Build 1715

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2004 :  2:53:21 PM  Show Profile
yes, absolutely. (and maybe after that we can also add support for PHP, Python, Perl, awk, and a dozen other languages.)
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2004 :  10:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Duh, just saw that VAX seems to support Perl already. At least there is a settings tab for it. Could we please have PHP now?
Go to Top of Page

selmo

19 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  10:40:44 PM  Show Profile
I would like to be able to define my own context parsing for keywords, comments, etc. For example, I frequently edit .ini files within the VC6 editor and wouldn't mind having some syntactic coloration. If they expose some of the mechanism for the coloring and parsing via config files, we can all create and edit our own language parsers based on our unique needs (and post those files where others might download them?)
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2004 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately this would only fulfil parts of the functionality of VA X. I am sure that things like the contents of the HCB, or the definition/context bar are not describable in any freeform editor. If its just for coloring you would do with using Scintilla for any non-VA supported file type, but the rest requires code support from WT.
Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  02:04:26 AM  Show Profile
how can you tell VAX to highlight c/c++ syntax in a file that is not named .cpp / .c / .cxx / .h / .hpp etc

for example:

foo.wildCrazyExtensionOfDoom

inside that file is just c/c++ syntax
Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  02:06:09 AM  Show Profile
here is a way to have visual studio highlight .uc files btw.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealScriptHighlighting#Step_2_Adding_usertype_dat_to_MS

~msew
Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  02:36:37 AM  Show Profile
here is how you do it :-)

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/darrell.norton/archive/2004/04/21/11837.aspx

(text duplicated here as the web sort of sucks for keeping links alive when you really need them)

Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions

Question:
How do I configure things so that I can get proper code highlighting when I have a file that is a standard format (XML, or SQL) but has an alternate extension (.DNN, .SqlDataProvider)?

Answer:
Edit the registry (Warning: This is dangerous! Backup the registry first! I take no responsibility for any damage this may cause). Also, you need to change 7.1 if you are not using Visual Studio 2003:

Under this subkey: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1\\Languages\\File Extensions], add a new key for whatever file extension you want to add syntax highlighting for (ie, .DNN or .SqlDataProvider). It should show up as a little folder icon.

For the default REG_SZ, change the value to equal the GUID for the file extension you want to copy (ie, for .SqlDataProvider use the same GUID as for .sql). Copy any other DWords, values, etc. (just copy everything from the key of the extension you want to copy).

posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:46 AM
Feedback
# re: Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions 4/21/2004 9:36 AM Joel Ross

There's a better way to do this for a few of the file types, such as XML! When you are in the file -> open dialog box in VS.NET, click the arrow on the Open button, and choose open with...

In the new dialog, select the type of editor you want to edit the file with, then click "Set as Default" and the next time you open a file in VS.NET with that same extension, it uses the default highlighting. I used this with .build files for NAnt, which is just XML.
# re: Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions 4/21/2004 9:37 AM Darrell

Joel - yes that is easier! Nice tip.
# re: Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions 5/12/2004 7:06 AM Gavin

If you also want to get the other nice features (such as auto-formatting when editing .jsp pages in the HTML editor, for example) find the editor that you want under \\7.1\\Editors (which would be the 'HTML Editor' in this case) and add the extension in the \\Extensions key as a DWORD. The value for the DWORD seems to change a bit, but if you just copy what's already there it works fine.
# re: Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions 5/12/2004 7:15 AM Darrell

Nice tip Gavin. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  04:20:17 AM  Show Profile
okie after all that,

the syntax highlighting now works

but VAX does not recognize the .wildCrazyExtensionOfDoom

as something it should be "active" in and give nice auto completition and tooltips. :-(

any way to modify VAX to treat .wildCrazyExtensionOfDoom as a file it should be "active" when that file has focus in visual studio?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  06:19:35 AM  Show Profile
This is already entered into our wishlist.

See the discussion in Topic 2713...
The discussion ranks around SQL, but I entered it as "all possible custom-filetypes", not just SQL...

case=195

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000