Finding Matching Symbols
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tharkaway

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  08:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Is there any way to find the matching symbol for various C symbols? I have been working with some old legacy C code. As I have been trying to unwind this code and clean it up, I found that many times it would have been useful to highlight a block of code, or just to find the end of a block of code. In the simplest case with the cursor on a '{', I would have liked to have VA highlight all the code up to the matching '}'. Other useful matchings would include if/elseif/else and #ifdef/#else/#endif constructs.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  6:10:27 PM  Show Profile
are you familiar with the IDE command ctrl_] ?
sit on either { or }, and the caret will jump to the matching brace.
this also works for () and #if 0, #else, #endif

also, try turning on VAX -> options -> text editor -> correction -> highlight matching {} and ()
this works fine for me in C. setting it to a really obvious colour should also help.

you could also try selecting the entire file and telling the IDE to format it, which may help by re-indenting the code into a more consistent and meaningful manor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tharkaway

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  09:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions. I did have the VA option to highlight matching {}'s on, but if the {}'s were a long way apart it did not seem to work properly (e.g the matching brace would not highlight). I was doing most of my work in VA 6, but I just tried this again in VAX and it still doesn't not work. If I put the cursor on the opening { of a 1300 line procedure, and scroll down to the closing brace, it is not highlighted.

I didn't realize the IDE had these options. One of these days I need to take the time to go through every menu option to see what is available. In the above mentioned example Ctrl-] was able to jump to the closing {.

I also found that the Format command did not work perfectly in VS6.0. Coming out of a 200+ line switch statement, the closing { was not indented at all while the opening { was indented two tabs. This is another case where the the closing { was not highlighted when the opening [ was and again where Ctrl-] worked properly.

Thanks again for the help.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  3:08:17 PM  Show Profile
There is a limit to the distance between {}'s, both in VA 6.0 and VA X. Not sure what the limit is. We'll find out and add it to our documentation.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  5:53:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tharkaway

I also found that the Format command did not work perfectly in VS6.0. Coming out of a 200+ line switch statement

the formatting command in .NET 2003 doesn't always handle tiny switch statements correctly

you may want to check out GC, URL thanks to Uniwares, which is a free tool to format you C and C++ code.

it seems to take a bit of setting up, but it should produce far more reliable results than VS.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  5:59:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tharkaway

I didn't realize the IDE had these options. One of these days I need to take the time to go through every menu option to see what is available.

you may find http://www.codeproject.com/tips/VSnetIDETipsAndTricks.asp to be useful

Go to Top of Page

tharkaway

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  11:23:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips. GC worked like a charm. I liked the way they format muti-line conditions for IF statements. Too bad I've already done allmost all the work by hand.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000