New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2004 :  12:58:50 PM  Show Profile
It happend to me again. Once in a while, about twice a year probably only but never the less, a very annoying thing. And I'm not even sure if its VS6 or Visual Assist. I'm using VA since the very beginning (how many years is that already?) so I cant say if the same happens without VA. But I do know it happens only with files under source control.

When "it" happens, it goes like this: I load a workspace and start typing as soon as the source window is visible. But in the background VA/VS is still parsing the projects and when this finishes, VS brings up a warning that the current file has been modified on disk and if I want to reload it.
At this point when I reload the file, the file has literally every CR/LF doubled, so the file has a empty line every other line.

Why reload when you already typed in the file you may ask? Simple, the file is under source control and it really MAY have changed.

Hopefuly I'm not the only one with this problem, although it is very, very rare, it is really annoying when it happens.
Anybody with the same experience?

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2004 :  2:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I am having a quite similiar problem here.

I have adapted Flounder's "Build Number Increaser" and use it in a Custom Build Event (you know, opening the *.rc-File, changing the FILEVERSION and PRODUCTVERSION, recompiling the resource prior to linking the whole stuff together).

I have also set the options Detect when file is changed outside the environment AND Auto-load changes (if not currently modified inside the environment), to make sure the annoying "This File XXX has been changed. Shall I reload it?"-Dialog does not show...

This works pretty well...

But every now-and-then, this Dialog pops up asking me if I want to reload my Resource-File since it has changed.

I am pulling my hair out on this one, because I think it shouldn't show it since I told Visual Studio to NOT show it...

Do you think this is a related Problem?

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Feb 27 2004 2:19:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2004 :  03:59:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
At this point when I reload the file, the file has literally every CR/LF doubled, so the file has a empty line every other line.

Happened to me few times with VA X, no pattern to repro however.

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2004 :  09:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Cezariusz, the question is then: does it also happen without VA ???
Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2004 :  03:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Uniwares, hard to say, because I've been using VA for years and I don't know how to reproduce it with or without VA. But I'm pretty sure that the doubled CR/LF thing started with VA X (in VA6 the effect was different).

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2004 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Nope, same thing with VA6 already. Am sure about that.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2004 :  2:31:08 PM  Show Profile
When VA X parses, it reads files only. VA X does not modify or save files. VA X leaves all file saving to the IDE.

That said, we can appreciate the problem. We just don't see how VA X can be the culprit.

Let us know if you find more clues. Otherwise, you might scour the net for people with a similar problem.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000