New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2004 :  12:53:41 PM  Show Profile
a couple of hours ago i installed "DevPartner Profiler Community Edition" on my machine, winXP pro, VS .NET 2003, VAX 1219

this is a free program, from:

http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/profiler/default.asp?cid=3019X36&focus=DevPartner&source=Web+%2D+Evaluation+Request&desc=Download+%2D+%27DevPartner+Profiler+Community+Edition%27&offering=DevPartner&sf=1

so far so good. then i tried to work out how to profile something

every time i try this VS changes the window layout to "program running", CPU usage goes to 100% and stays there, but the program never loads.

i tried disabling VAX, but this made no difference. i have just tried uninstalling VAX *pained expression* and now i can run my program with the profiler turned on. i didnt get any results, but at least VS returned control to me.

is this just my workstation being unhelpful, or is there a conflict between VAX and this profiler? both the profiler and VAX have inserted icons onto the VS splash screen on loading, so it seems possible they could conflict.

VAX was the only add-in listed by VS.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

yuri
Ketchup Master

USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2004 :  1:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm... I just used it. My setup is winxp pro, .Net 2003 and VAX 1219. I don't have anything you described. My CPU was pretty good. Statup and Shutdown was also good. In fact, I see no problems at all. Maybe the installation didn't go as planned. I got lots of results and also an unexpected bottleneck. lol!! Sorry, I couldn't be more help. Some applications can have this problem if they don't have any virtual memory. You probably have lots but I've seen this kind of problem with certain applications that require virtual memory.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile
thanks for trying it :)

i have now given up on this profiler for now, and uninstalled it. i did a fresh install with VAX uninstalled, and it still managed to hang VS

plus i have never seen it give me any sort of output on the occasions VS didnt hang. probably something about my machine config, but i dont know where to start looking *shrug*

still, i have VAX on again

i am glad it helped you at least one of us got something out of this experience

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000