Sweet! but Old Features Broken
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2004 :  4:57:12 PM  Show Profile
First off I must say the new version is *very* cool. I'm still getting used to the strange autocompletion of ( and {, though it's really growing on me. Good work guys! :)

Some complaints though...

1. Position and size of Open File In Workspace dialog is no longer persistent (this was real useful in version 6).

2. Open File In Workspace dialog no longer has Filter button. Why? This was useful cause it allowed you to incrementally search for files that contained two keywords by typing one in, hitting Filter, and then typing in another. Can't do that anymore.

3. There used to be a really useful feature where if you had a class called COneTwoThree, and you typed COneThree, you would be able to position the cursor as in COne|Three and type "T" and it would suggest COneTwoThree. What happened to this feature? It no longer does that :(.

4. Naviagate By Context to Previous doesn't work when assign a keyboard binding to it, though going to Next does work. Strange... It works ok using the toolbar though.

5. What happened to being able to comment out blocks of code using the '/' key on the selection?

swine

kempus

12 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  04:17:06 AM  Show Profile
I also miss item 3 very much, this is one of the most important flaws of the new Visual Assist.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  07:27:50 AM  Show Profile
this should probably be in bugs rather than suggestions

never having used ver 6 i didnt know about the filter option on open file in workspace. that sounds increadibly useful, so how come it is missing?

navigate by context works for me both up and down via the key bindings alt key plus number pad minus and alt key plus number pad plus. using VAX 1221 and VS .NET 2003

you need to turn on comment out blocks by using the '/' key. options -> text editor -> general -> surround selection
it works fine for me.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile
No. 3 is missed here, too (as seen in your other post in the "Bug Reports"), and No. 5 works fine here (with (, [, {, * and / ).
As feline suggests, try to enable "Surround selection" in the options.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  10:40:06 AM  Show Profile
#1. Making position of the FIW dialog persistent is on our list to fix.

#2. Filtering in dialog is done on the fly. Type foo and the list shrinks. http://www.wholetomato.com/x/products/features/fiw.html?more=yes

#3. Discussed in http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1905

#4. We believe [i]Find Previous by Context[/] is fixed in the current build, 1221.

#5. http://www.wholetomato.com/x/products/features/surround.html?more=yes

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  5:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the excellent response!

1. Great!

2. I meant filtering on filtering---you can only filter once in the new implementation, but you could do AND filters on the old one. This was very useful. You should have a way of doing ANDs, such as typing in "Foo Camel" would find files such as "CFooBigCamel.h", etc.

4. Find Pervious By Context works! Awesome. But Find Previous Scope does not :(.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  7:44:31 PM  Show Profile
2. Good point.

4. What exactly is "Find Previous Scope?" VA X has "ScopePrevious" and "ScopeNext" commands. They work for us.

http://www.wholetomato.com/x/products/features/shortcut.html?more=yes

Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2004 :  3:24:36 PM  Show Profile
LOL um that link's useful... :)

"Move by Scope
Information not yet available. "
Go to Top of Page

threeprong

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  6:44:14 PM  Show Profile
Another vote for bringing back #3!
Go to Top of Page

llock

2 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  5:40:03 PM  Show Profile
I've run into a few things that no longer seem to work.

1) If I define a type using a macro.. ie:

#if SomeCondition
#define VECTOR vector
#else
#define VECTOR MyVersionOfVector
#endif

VECTOR< MiscType > theVector;

theVector.

brings up nothing.

2) It used to be that typing a function in the .cpp file.. ie:

bool MyClass::MyFunction(

would then bringup the intellisense for the arguments. I'd hit tab, and they would drop in.. this no longer happens, and I loved that feature!

Visual Assist is a great product though.. well done guys and gals!

------------------------------------\rDaniel Higgins\rGame AI Programmer - Empire Earth,\rEmpires: Dawn of the Modern World\rStainless Steel Studios, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  12:14:45 AM  Show Profile
1) VA X sees both VECTOR definitions regardless of SomeCondition. Even so, VA X uses the first when resolving other definitions that use it. VA X does not expand a macro used in a definition unless the macro has parentheses. Yours does not. VA X assumes you want to see "VECTOR" in the definition field when you click on theVector.

Change you first #define to this:
#define VECTOR() vector

VA X will expand VECTOR to vector in the definition of theVector. We tried. It works.

2) Parameter lists do not appear reliably. We can reproduce the problem.

ixBug=26

Please create new topics for new bugs or questions. One topic per bug is preferred.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000