New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

imtrobin
Ketchup Master

50 Posts

Posted - May 07 2004 :  12:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

Currently, the member listbox using 'Tab' will type out the selected function. How about adding Unix style tabbing ie. when there are two similar matches it autocompletes to the known match only.

eg.
If there is
"BlahOne"
"BlahTwo"
"Bxa"

I type "Bl" then Tab (maybe via another key other than tab), it fills "Blah", and lets me selected BlahOne or BlahTwo.

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - May 07 2004 :  01:35:19 AM  Show Profile
i second that,
and i believe there already was a version (maybe VC6) which had this feature.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  07:08:19 AM  Show Profile
that sounds easy enough for WC to do.

i agree, i would love to see this

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  11:46:03 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, the task is not that easy, at least not easy to implement without making other things annoying.

We could suggest:
Blah
BlahOne
BlahTwo
Bxa

Hitting tab completes a partial symbol but nothing says VA X will suggest BlahOne and BlahTwo at that point -- at least not with the current architecture. There is little history in typing since we are running while the IDE is doing other stuff. We don't hold the IDE until you are finished with the current symbol. You accept Blah and get BlahTwo and BlahThree (and BlahT for that matter, unless we put a min on saved characters.) Oh yes, down-arrowing through suggestions needs to skip Blah -- or at least explain it's a suffix.

As well, adding Blah just made it more difficult to select BlahOne -- and VA X is pretty good about suggesting the right thing first. We'd have to use a different command, eg Something+Tab, to get VA X to complete a common suffix, assuming one exists. In your example, one does not.

We did implement what you describe in an internal build. We tried lots of ways to make is useful. Haven't found one yet.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Dont think this will ever work in any way, except assigning a different completion key to it. Say, Capslock instead of Tab might make it work and is close enough to Tab to not be disturbing. I havent yet found any use for Caps lock anyway. I think its the least frequently used key on my keyboard. Even scroll lock I use more frequently (well, not for programming...)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile
[OT] SysInternals has tool to map your capslock to control key.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/ctrl2cap.shtml

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  11:56:03 AM  Show Profile
thats a fair point.

due to our internal naming conventions we have a lot of long class names that have standard initial parts, eg:

mtQtPatientPathology
mtQtPatientDrug

getting mtQtP expanded to mtQtPatient would be useful...

*considers*

for my needs i might actually be better off simply adding extra autotext templates. starting to get off topic here, but is there a way to force the autotext suggestions to appear?

i have:

#en:
#endif  //}}AFX_COMMENTED_OUT-?

defined in VAX, but it doesn't always appear when i type
#en
it seems that the speed of typing has something to do with this. if i slow down to let VAX catch up with me the autotext templates are more frequent / consistent.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  1:13:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Uniwares

Dont think this will ever work in any way, except assigning a different completion key to it. Say, Capslock instead of Tab might make it work and is close enough to Tab to not be disturbing.

if you do this, can i have an option to use something other than caps lock? i agree that this is hardly ever used, it is just i don't want to get into the habit of using it.

i still do a lot of work under UNIX and in VIM, both of which are case sensitive. if caps log gets turned on by mistake then it can cause a load of problems.

how about backwards single quote ` which is above Tab on my UK keyboard? i use this under UNIX, but i don't think i have ever used it under windows. of course, this is probably where someone tells me this key is essential in some windows programming setting

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  1:54:39 PM  Show Profile
I use it in Cygwin.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  2:21:55 PM  Show Profile
As you surmise, the problem with #en not expanding to #endif appears to be timing related.

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2207

As for partial completion, we added it to our list of features to consider again.

ixBug=35

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  05:33:04 AM  Show Profile
i cannot read that thread. timing related sounds nasty to fix.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000