Technical Support
 VAX locks up VS6 when debugging
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jyrol

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  2:45:45 PM  Show Profile
Here's an easy test case. Place a breakpoint anywhere in your project, wait for the program to break, then step over a couple times and try to run the program again. On my machine, it locks up VS and my only way out is to go to the task manager and kill the process. It happens every single time. I've just updated to version 20 (I was using 19) and it sped up VS, killed the "crash on exit" bug for VS Net, gave me a plethora of new options, but unfortunatly, it didn't solve my problem. I have to say, it makes debugging somewhat of a challenge :)

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  3:38:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm running into a similar problem and have found that, if I wait for a while (one or two minutes sometimes) that the IDE finally comes back to life. Do you see the same behavior? I sent a log to support, maybe you can do the same? Also the IDE sometimes locks up on me when not debugging, do you ever experience that?
Go to Top of Page

spectecjr
Ketchup Master

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  4:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I've seen similar with VS NET 2003.
Go to Top of Page

Jyrol

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the IDE eventually "unlocks" itself, but it takes a long, long time on my system (anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes). Going into the task manager, in the process tab, highlighting MSDEV and clicking on "Switch" will *sometimes* bring the IDE back to life...but I usually have to kill the process and start over.
Go to Top of Page

KatieK

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2004 :  06:52:27 AM  Show Profile
I've also seen this in vs net 2003. It has caused me to consider uninstalling VA X :(
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2004 :  1:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Despite numerous attempts, we are still unable to reproduce the problem.

Jyrol: The title or your original post mentions VS6 but you mention "VS Net" in the post itself. Can you tell us in which IDE(s) the lockup occurs?

What OS are people running?

Are you running a system debugger?

If anyone has the time and inclination, can you try to get a log for us? Enable logging on the performance tab of the VA X options dialog and reproduce the hang. Exit your IDE. Zip and send c:\\va.log to [email protected].

Jyrol: Since you have an easy test case, can you produce a log for us? If you don't mind, wait for the IDE to come back to life and exit the IDE before zipping our log.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Jyrol

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2004 :  6:04:11 PM  Show Profile
I use mostly VS6 and VS Net (NOT 2003) and it locks both of them. It doesn't happen often on VS Net (might have happened three times total) but it's 100% repeatable on VS6.

Note:
I'm running Win2K and, on VS Net, I use the PS2 ProDG compiler/debugger in the background. I will send you a log shortly following the instructions you left in your post.
Go to Top of Page

Jyrol

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2004 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile
ok, I've just sent you guys a log. Unfortunately, the IDE now refuses to get back on its feet, so the log will only register the eternal loop in which the IDE finds itself. If someone else could try to produce a log with an IDE that actually goes back to normal, that'd be tons more helpful to the WTS team.
Go to Top of Page

supercloud

43 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2004 :  9:32:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Here's an easy test case. Place a breakpoint anywhere in your project, wait for the program to break, then step over a couple times and try to run the program again. On my machine, it locks up VS and my only way out is to go to the task manager and kill the process. It happens every single time.

It happens in VC++ 6.0 as well.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2004 :  2:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Fixed another hang during debug in 1239. VC++ 6.0 only.

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  3:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Lockups are new to me, but I'm getting them with VC++6 and VAX 1240 now. It is not nearly as bad as some of the others have it because I can click on the stop debugging icon and get out of it without killing the IDE.
I clicked the log check box, got a hang, stopped the debugger and exited the IDE in a normal manner. Do you want the log? If so, where is it and what is it named?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  8:54:47 PM  Show Profile
c:va.log

Zip and send to [email protected]

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru