Technical Support
 Multiple Versions of Source Libs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michael Resnick

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  10:09:58 AM  Show Profile
I am working with two versions of third party software. I am also working with two versions of my own code. My code is not registered within a Visual Studio project, so I am treating it as 3rd party software as well.

Is there any way to have Visual Assist X switch between the two sets of directories so that the correct header and source files are loaded depending on the environment?

I've tried using environment variables (using both ${} and $() to delimit) in the directory listings of a custom project. I've had no success. Any help would be appreciated.

I've also scanned these forums and didn't find anything relative. If I've missed something, please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  7:19:36 PM  Show Profile
following a link posted by Larry got me to:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434&SearchTerms=environment,variable

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Michael Resnick

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Feline,

Thanks for the info. It confirms what I'd suspected.

However, my real question is: Is there a way to easily switch between different sets of directories.

I found that the directory lists are stored in the Windows registry, but changing values there doesn't appeal to me for some strange reason.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  6:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Here is a possibility:

Place each set of directories in a distinct directory on your hard drive, but with the same structure below the top level. For example, create a c:\\config1 and c:\\config2. Below config1, place the directories containing the files for one configuration, and below config2, place the files for the other configuration. Presumably, these have the same filenames and directories, etc.

Change the settings in VA to point to some drive letter that you don't have and the appropriate directories (less the top level that you setup above). Use the SUBST command on the command-line to change where the drive letter points.

Since you probably haven't used SUBST in years (if ever), the syntax is:
SUBST [drive1: [drive2:]path]

to map the drive, and
SUBST drive1: /D

to delete the mapping.

Using the example from above, and assuming that you don't have a V: drive, you would open a command-line window and type:
subst v: c:\\config1

to use the first configuration, and
subst v: c:\\config2

to use the second configuration. Note that you will need to delete the substitution before changing. The settings in VA would simply refer to V:\\<directory>. This would probably work without even leaving VS to change configurations.

For those of you who remember the terrible bugs that SUBST used to have, they have been fixed - at least that is what they claim. I have used the command for several years now with no adverse effects.

Joe Pizzi

Edited by - jpizzi on Jun 29 2004 6:55:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  03:12:25 AM  Show Profile
confirmation that using subst is not a problem, because of using ClearCase-SnapShot views is only possible with subst.
i use this technique for a long time and there are no problems.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Resnick

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  09:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Joe and shoenherr,

Thanks for the suggestion and confirmation! This is exactly the kind of work around I'm looking for.

I assume, that if I change the drive without leaving Visual Assist I'll need to reparse things.

And, yes I'm using ClearCase and have different views (soon to be different branches) that I need to switch between.

Thanks again!
Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000