Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2004 :  04:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

In topic 1745 ("Can we uninstall the VA.Net version already?"; http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1745) I've asked weather or not we could deinstall VA.Net and keep VA X running. Since I had trouble with some icons, I've deinstalled VA X (1219) and VA.Net, and after a reboot, installed VA X (1220).

During the configuration, there were some trouble with defining the directories that VA X should use. I've selected Projects; C/C++Directories in the options dialog. And there I've selected Custom and Stable include files. Since I had saved the directories I used from the previous installation, I copied them from the text-file they were in and pasted them into the dialog. (This overwrites the current setting after some acknowledgement dialog; maybe the directories which were different and do exist could be appended to the current directories...) Then I've selected Other include files and pasted those settings. And I did the same to the Library source files. But when I returned to the Stable include files, my entered settings were gone!

To avoid this from happening again, I did paste the "Stable include files" settings and pressed apply. After switching to and from the Other include files, the settings for the Stable include files did hold. Then I've pasted the settings for the Other include files again, and I wanted to press Apply. But the apply button wasn't enabled (sigh!). So after OK-ing and recall the options dialog again I was able to enter the Library source files.

During all this, I was constantly harassed by a dialog stating "You must restart your IDE before your changes take effect."! And after the first time (maybe per opening of the options dialog) I truely did understand this message. (Try this: call the C/C++ directories dialog, dubble click on one entry, don't change it, and click somewhere else, then try clicking the tree item Projects a dozen times, maybe you'll get the feeling I meant...)

One other thing, in Text Editor/Completion, when I select "List non-inherited entries first in member listboxes", "Shrink member listboxes" is selected automatically. I understand that it's your recommended option (according to the tooltip of the first), but isn't this just a little too much? Luckily I can undo the automatic selection of the latter, if I want to. I've also noted that when I select "Shrink...", "List non-inherited..." isn't automatically selected.

So to make a long story short...could the fine team of Whole Tomato, please, look at the following:
- Append directories that differ and do exist instead of deleting the old ones and past the new ones, when pasting directories into the options dialog
- Store the directory settings when switching between "Stable include files", "Other include files" and "Library source files"
- Enable the apply button after changing (pasting) directories into the dialog
- Get rid of the multiple messages that I have to restart my IDE
- Explain why or get rid of the automatically selection of "Shrink member listboxes" when "List non-inherited entries first in member listboxes" is selected.

Thank you kindly in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2004 :  03:37:51 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Maybe this story is a little bit long...

I hope the team of Whole Tomato did take a look at the bullets on the end...

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2004 :  09:26:23 AM  Show Profile
- Explain why or get rid of the automatically selection of "Shrink member listboxes" when "List non-inherited entries first in member listboxes" is selected.

Since "List non..." changes the sorting order, typing "foo.get", you may see only foo's methods that begin with "get" because the other inherited "Get"'s are listed later in the list. If filtering is enabled, you see all methods that begin with "get".

Still looking at the other points.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2004 :  02:45:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello support,

Thank you for the explanation. I never thought of it that way; you do have a point. Maybe it's good to have that somewhere in the GUI.

Thanks for taking the time (to read this... and) looking into this and the other points. I'm curious what you think of the other points.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000