Syntax coloring for member variables
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2004 :  6:14:06 PM  Show Profile
It would be really great for me if VA could be setup to highlight member variables of the current class differently from other variables.

Like (I suspect) many developers, I often start writing a new C++ class by copying some old file, renaming it, and then rewriting the bits that have to change (cut & paste, I know, please don't hit me! I usually refactor afterwards to extract a common base class once it is clear to me what is shared behaviour and what is not).

I start by rewriting the header file, & then move onto the implementation. Whilst rewriting the header, I often delete or rename variables that existed in the old class. When I look at the implementation file, however, all variable references are shown as grey text, whether they are references to new variables, to variables kept from the old class or to variables that have now been deleted from the current header.

I can hover over each variable, wait for the tooltip, and then see if they are defined in the current class or only in the old class, but it would be much easier for me if instead they were in a distinctive color!

An alternative to this (but maybe harder for VA to parse) would be to underline the left-over symbols, as they are not defined in the current scope.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2004 :  05:55:44 AM  Show Profile
this sounds very useful

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2004 :  11:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Coloring done by context, not by validity of the symbol.

You might click a symbol instead of hovering. Find the class to which the symbol belongs in our Context field at the top of the source window.

Try enabling "Underline mistyped symbols..." on the Text Editor|Correction node of our options dialog. VA X should underline symbols no longer valid in the current context.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2004 :  5:40:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Try enabling "Underline mistyped symbols..." on the Text Editor|Correction node of our options dialog. VA X should underline symbols no longer valid in the current context

As I already have this option enabled, I must also have a bug. Generally, VAX on my system (VC6, 1221) is rather poor at working out if a symbol is defined in the current context or not. I almost never get underlined symbols. Hovering over a grey symbol, or clicking on it, or pressing Alt-G, I can get to:

• Local symbols defined in another method of the class

• Member variables defined in another unrelated class

Go to Top of Page

swinefeaster
Tomato Guru

310 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2004 :  02:02:48 AM  Show Profile
When you start creating the new class, do you do a File | Save As from the one you want to copy? I used to always do this and found that it really confused the **** out of VA! Try copying the entire file ino the clipboard and pasting it into a new file, adding it to the proj, and then editing it. You may find VAX does a better job... :)

Though yah it's probably still a VAX bug....
Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2004 :  05:45:42 AM  Show Profile
Actually yes, I do use File->SaveAs! I shall try your suggestion (though I think VAX should really be able to cope with this).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000