New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2004 :  07:05:37 AM  Show Profile
using VS .NET 2003 if i need to "bounce" between the .cpp and .h files for a class, then i can use alt_o thanks to VAX

currently i have 7 code files open both for reference and since i am working on them. i want to "bounce" between two .cpp files quickly and easily, but there seems to be no way to do this.

could VAX add an option to "go to last file", effectively "alt_w 2", that i could bind to a single easy key press? or is there some other way to do this?

ctrl_tab moves me through all of the files in a semi-random manor if i press it to fast *sigh*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2004 :  09:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Would "Shift-Ctrl-Tab" do what you're describing?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2004 :  09:50:50 AM  Show Profile
as far as i can tell Shift-Ctrl-Tab moves backwards through the tabs, using the same semi-random manor as Ctrl-Tab.

i am sure there is an algorithm for this movement, but since it seems to depend critically on the time between key presses it is very easy to get confused *shrug*

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2004 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Ctrl-Tab moves forward through the list of windows. Shift-Ctrl-Tab moves backward through the list of files.

The order is determined by the "most recently used" windows. In other words, Ctrl-Tab will always take you to the window you most recently had open (active) before the current one.

The speed at which you tab through the windows does not affect order, in my experience. How far you go through the list works just like the Alt-Tab between Windows applications. Hold down the Ctrl key and keep hitting the tab key to go farther through the list.

Joe Pizzi

Edited by - jpizzi on Mar 29 2004 12:06:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2004 :  12:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Correct would be: Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab cycles through the windows in the order they where last used. If the time between two consecutive key presses is more than ::SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETMENUSHOWDELAY) then it will switch between current and last used only. This is probably what feline is describing as semi-random.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2004 :  11:03:30 AM  Show Profile
i have been watching this today, and the problem happens when i want to move between two files at speed, simply to check out a simple question.

if i get the answer and want to move back in a couple of seconds, there is a good chance the CTRL_TAB press will move me onto window 3, rather than back to window 1.

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2004 :  12:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Are you sure you are taking your finger off of the Ctrl key? Not doing that would cause it to keep going deeper into the list. I just tried it on my machine and I can't go fast enough to cause it to fail (if I remember to pick up my thumb off the Ctrl key too.)

Ken
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2004 :  06:37:58 AM  Show Profile
ah

i think i could do with reading the basic introduction to the VS IDE, if only i could find it.

i was in fact holding the CTRL key down, it had never occured to me that this might be wrong. many thanks for the hint.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000