Show header path name for undefined symbol
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2004 :  6:37:06 PM  Show Profile
I would VAX to tell me the filename in which a symbol is defined.

Sometimes, I am writing new code & I use classes that are not #included in the current file. VAX recognises the names, however, and so the syntax coloring does not give me a clue that there is a compile error "on the way", so to speak.

So then I compile, & VC complains (quite justifiably) thst I have not defined class "Blah", or whatever. So now I want to add a header entry for the class.

Using VAX, I can click on the offending symbol & see its definition in the "VA View pane". I can now press Alt+G to open the header where it is declared. This gives me the filename, but not the path. However, if I have the "Include opened files" option checked in the SIW, I can then hover over the filename to get the path, and type it into my #include.

Actually, I find I use this technique quite a lot. I have 2000+ header files in 50+ directories to choose from, and it saves me some time.

What I would *really* like would be a more convenient scheme. Something like displaying the header filename in VA View so that I can copy the relevant sub-path & paste into a #include.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2004 :  10:38:05 PM  Show Profile
Do you have "Guess..." enabled on the "Text Editor|C/C++" node of our options dialog?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2004 :  05:00:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes I do.

How is this relevant?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly