Technical Support
 VC6 still locks up while debugging w/ version 1225
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jyrol

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2004 :  7:49:54 PM  Show Profile
nuff said (find the thread I've started a couple of weeks back for full details)

Yaron

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Same here. Win2k. VC6 with SP6 (They fixed a problem with the debugger sometimes locking up on multiprocessor machines, so I thought it might be related in some way maybe. No such luck).

Stepping out of a function, or continuing to run after stopping at breakpoint will still lock up the debugger. VAX 1225.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  2:31:48 PM  Show Profile
If you can reproduce the hang with any frequency, enable logging on the Performance node of our options dialog. Reproduce the hang. While hung, zip and send us c:\\va.log

Restart your IDE.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  2:35:09 PM  Show Profile
We are curious. Does your CPU have hyper-threading technology?

Go to Top of Page

Jyrol

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2004 :  1:55:30 PM  Show Profile
No hyper threading here. My evaluation copy of VAX has expired yesterday, so I won't be able to make a log for you today.
Go to Top of Page

Yaron

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2004 :  04:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Sent va.log to [email protected] .

No hyperthreading on my CPU, it's a bit too old for that...

I noticed on several runs that it doesn't lock if after breaking I just directly hit F5 (Run). This may be a change from previous versions, since I remember it used to lock up on those as well. Doing some step-overs will usually, but not always, cause it to lock if I Run afterwards. Stepping-out (Either with a Step-out command or by stepping over an end of a method)will almost always lock it up the first time, and always the second time.

The copy in the log have some breaks with immediate Run, Breaks followed by a few step-overs and a Run, and finally two steps-out and it locked up. Must say that this is the most debugging breaks I managed to get out of it in a long time... Usually it locks up much more easily.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2004 :  3:41:15 PM  Show Profile
We believe disabling enhanced syntax coloring before debugging prevents hanging. We have one use who has confirmed this. Let us know if the same happens for you.

Go to Top of Page

Tsahi Levent-Levi
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2004 :  01:55:03 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it's syntax coloring - with version 1223, when I disable VA altogether - I still get stuck during debugging. It didn't happen at all before VA-X.
Go to Top of Page

Yaron

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2004 :  03:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Yep, this does seems to be a good workaround. If I disable enhanced syntax coloring the debugger works perfectly (well, at least as good as it can) and does not hang.

It does seems somewhat strange, since as Tsahi wrote disabling VA (via the "Enable/Disable Visual Assist X" toolbar button), which removes enhanced syntax coloring as well (Although does not remove all VA features for some reason), does not solve the problem and the debugger still hangs...

Anyway, this is still a problem of course, but as of now it's annoying but no longer critical. I can debug with the regular coloring.
Would be nice though if until you resolve it you can add a feature to automatically disable coloring when debugging (optional only of course, it seems that most users don't have this problem). It would remove the small hassle of turning it on/off manually all the time.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2004 :  12:48:35 PM  Show Profile
We have solved the hang-during-debug problem in VC++ 6.0 with assistance from a dedicated customer, Karl Hurst.

Fix will be in the next build, due soon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000