1230: Shortcuts slowdown
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WoodyIS

Czech Republic
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  04:14:58 AM  Show Profile
I have some key shortcuts in WinXP, defined under application shortcut icon -> properties -> Shortcut key:
For example, ctrl-alt-W runs TotalCmd. With version 1223, I can press that key shortcut and TotalCmd appear in a second. With version 1230, there is a few second pause ( ~5 sec ) before the app is started.

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  5:18:28 PM  Show Profile
My Windows XP Hotkeys work just fine. In fact, I use that same one (ctrl-alt-w) to start Word. No delay. Using VA X 1230 on VS .NET 2003.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

WoodyIS

Czech Republic
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2004 :  05:57:09 AM  Show Profile
I tested everything on my home computer. I have fresh new WinXP Prof. installed because of new 120GB HDD. I instaled .NET2003, MSDN and DX9SDK summer update 2003. I assigned (alt-ctrl-w) to TotalCmd and (alt-ctrl-v) to my translator. Without .NET run, anytime I press any of the assigned shotcut, the app appears immediately. I run .NET ( with VAX build 1223 installed ) and everything has the same speed. I run .NET ( with VAX build 1230 installed ). Anytime I press shortcut for TotalCmd, it appears with almost second delay. For Translator it is almost 2 seconds. Nothing as visible as on my work computer, but it is there. I tried to simulate work with a big cpp file, but the delay is not dependent on it. Even no solution is opened, the slowdown is there. I will try another experiments on monday on my work computer.
Go to Top of Page

WoodyIS

Czech Republic
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  05:09:54 AM  Show Profile
On my work computer, the slowdown is there even I disable VAX ( through menu -> VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X ) Also minimalization of .NET doesn't resolve that.
Go to Top of Page

Paul Elliott

5 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2004 :  8:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Is there a solution for this? I'm having the same problem with VA X 1287, VC6 on XP. It's very annoying. It appears to lock up Explorer since the Taskbar is unresponsive until the program assigned to the hotkey runs.
Go to Top of Page

peterchen
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2004 :  02:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Similar (?) problem with VC6 + VAX 1246 on XP Pro:
During debugging, explorer and devstudio lock up when hitting Windows-E shortcut. (Wait > 30 sec) Killing explorer process seems the only way out.

What I also *do* notice:
I'm usually working with 3 DevStudio instances, and after some opening/closing projects, there is always a "stale" MSDEV instance left (no window visible, but listed in processes. Logoff/Shutdown initites "kill now?" dialog) Such an instance present *feels* like it's slowing down the system, but that's just a feeling.

I've installed the latest release to see if that helps.

Go to Top of Page

Paul Elliott

5 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2004 :  12:35:06 PM  Show Profile
The stale MSDEV problem has been around a long time, and can happen with just one instance. Usually what I see is a msdev instance that uses up <20MB of memory and no processor time. My best guess is VA never finishes destroying and hangs at the end of shutting down. Usually what happens when I shut down msdev is it goes from whatever amount of memory it's using down to <20MB, then closes normally. I've never noticed a pattern to when it doesn't close all the way, but it doesn't seem to affect anything else on my system if I don't catch it and kill it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2004 :  5:59:57 PM  Show Profile
i am always running programs via shortcut keys, and i have no problem with VAX running on my machine.

the only time i get this sort of slow down is when my machine is running at 100% CPU, or the hard drive is thrashing.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Paul Elliott

5 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2004 :  2:35:43 PM  Show Profile
This doesn't have anything to do with CPU or disk activity; both are near or at zero when the problem happens. MSDEV doesn't need to have focus for the problem to manifest, either.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2004 :  12:41:59 PM  Show Profile
We could use a log file to help debug the problem. See #12 at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#log
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2004 :  11:35:55 PM  Show Profile
case=485

Problem is fixed in build 1292.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1292.exe

Edited by - support on Jan 07 2005 12:18:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Paul Elliott

5 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2005 :  3:54:50 PM  Show Profile
I've confirmed it fixed on my system. Thanks for the update.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000