VS.NET crash with words starting with "N"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WendyF

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile
I have an odd problem.

Whenever I type a word that begins with a "N", VS.NET crashes.

I can fix the problem if I clear my history, rebuild symbol databases and restart VS.NET. However, the problem will eventually return (in hours or sometimes days).

This does not happen if "N" appears in the middle of the word or if the word begins with "n." I have not noticed this problem with any other letter. I can place an "N" in front of a word already written, but I usually forget to do this, so I end up crashing VS.NET a lot....

Please help!!!!! N is a very common letter, and I think I'm scaring my coworkers with all the cursing.. jk

Thanks!

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Does this continue to happen if Visual Assist is disabled, or not?

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

WendyF

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile
It does not happen if Visual Assist is disabled.

Once it is enabled the problem will return.

Just to clarify -- VS.NET does not crash, it just stops responding. I have to end the process manually (I've tried waiting several minutes for it to respond again, but it never does)

I was running version 10.0.1283, but I just installed 10.1.1289.0, maybe this will help. I usually have at least 2 instances of VS.NET running at a time (which usually share at least one or two projects), which I think maybe related, but I can't be sure. I'm coding in c#, and I also have Flywheel
enabled.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Does this also happen when you disable Flywheel?
If you code in more languages than just C#, does this problem occur to you also in another language (C++ maybe)?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  4:34:29 PM  Show Profile
if you get ncb files for C# try deleting them. these seem to cause a great deal of problems for many people, since they can become corrupt (even without VAX) and then upset the IDE. its a long shot, but at least its easy and quick to try.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WendyF

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2004 :  12:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Since I installed the latest version (I also rebuild my symbols from the VAX performance settings), I have not yet had this problem.

I'm not sure if this is a temporary fix, since I have rebuild the symbols in the past and this always temporarily fixes the problem, sometimes for only hours and other times for days. So, I can't tell if disabling Flywheel changes the behavior until the behavior returns (if it does). The same goes for trying c++...

When (if) the problem does reoccur, I'll try disabling flywheel and deleting my ncb files...

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000