New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  4:01:02 PM  Show Profile
VS.NET 2003, C++, may be related to 2256 but not sure.

I am typing in a function that I know the name of:

IkeConstants::Get(

I get this far, the suggestion list is up, but I keep typing and type the closing parentheses. I get:

IkeConstants::Get)^(

where the "^" shows where the cursor is (it's not in the text, just shows cursor position).

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  10:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Any chance you typed Ctrl-T at some point? It transposes characters.

Can we assume you had a tooltip open with parameters, but instead opted simply to type a closing parentheses? Or did you type the parameters and they disappeared?

Is the problem reproducible?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  05:01:23 AM  Show Profile
I had something similar yesterday with 1233, VS.NET 2003, but I can't reproduce it in a small example.

My case was that I started a function, I accepted a lot of "suggest code from surrounding line" suggestions, I typed the closing bracket for the function (which just moved me past the existing close bracket which had been auto-inserted earlier) — so far everything was fine and the caret was in the right place, but when I typed the closing semicolon, it got inserted before the closing bracket.

It didn't happen every time, so there may be a timing issue.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  07:28:58 AM  Show Profile
I've been getting this a lot too. VAX 1234, .NET 2002.
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Any chance you typed Ctrl-T at some point? It transposes characters.

Can we assume you had a tooltip open with parameters, but instead opted simply to type a closing parentheses? Or did you type the parameters and they disappeared?

Is the problem reproducible?

No CTRL-T, no parameters (the particular function in question has no parameters, it's a singleton interface to return the one instance of IkeConstants). That may be critical: it's pretty consistent on functions with zero parameters. Here's the declaration for that function:
static IkeConstants*	Get() { return mIkeConstants; }

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  06:04:29 AM  Show Profile
It happens for me if the Visual Studio suggestion list appears, and I type the full name of the function anyway. Once I type '(', the list box remains, and the cursor is after the '('. But when I type space or ')', the cursor moves to the left of the '(' and inserts there.

Keys other than space or ')' seem to be fine. And it all works as it's supposed to if it's the Visual Assist suggestion box that appears.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Tom:
Can you post or send us a small screen shot of your symbol and listbox just before and just after you type the left parenthesis?

If our suggestion listbox is open and you type anyhow, our listbox should close when you finish the current symbol. What is there to suggest? The listbox should close even if another symbol exists whose prefix is the symbol you just finished, eg BarOneTwo and BarOne.

Assuming "Repair Case" is enabled, VA X should fix case when you type the ( after typing your entire symbol, eg barone. No listbox need be open for this to happen.

We think the fix to the )( problem requires we understand why our suggestion listbox is still open.

Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  3:50:56 PM  Show Profile
I sent a screenshot of my case. Note that the before and after left-paren only differ in the inclusion of the left paren; the displayed dialog box remains up.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  6:04:18 PM  Show Profile
The fact Greg's completion listbox remains open is a problem -- the same problem Tom has.

Can you tell us which, if any, of these options you have enabled? The first three are on our completion node; the second two are on our correction tab.
Display suggestion listboxes...
Suggest bits of code...
Prefer Default Intellisense...
Repair case
Insert ()...

If you click on the method after straightening the parentheses, Get in Greg's example, does anything appear in our Definition field?

If you hover over Get, do you get a tooltip?

Does the problem happen with the following?
CWnd.GetDC(

In the following screenshot from Greg, we see the dotted line around the current selection. This tells us the listbox is from default Intellisense. Hmm...

Edited by - support on May 14 2004 6:37:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 15 2004 :  12:17:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm at home now and getting ready to go on vacation for a week. If this still isn't solved when I get back, I can post my answers to these questions.

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  4:05:18 PM  Show Profile
This keeps happening to me, and screenshots etc. will follow once work deadline has passed. If you would prefer a video, I will try out fraps.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  12:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the help.

Will be fixed in 1238.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly