Technical Support
 morphing suggestions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

troppoli

8 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  4:45:13 PM  Show Profile
So I've been having this problem where I start typing and a suggestions box comes up, and as I try to arrow through it, it disappears and another comes up with different stuff in it. In the picture, you can still see the down arrow from the scrollbar of the previous box. (It gets left, if you click on the scrollbutton.) I never get to see that other suggestion before the box goes away... and I think that the one I'm wanting is there. In any case, scrolling should not make something disappear.

See an image of the bug.

This is two screen shots, the top is the first box that comes up, the bottom is the second with the bit o' scrollbar still stuck in it.

Edited by - troppoli on May 18 2004 5:04:18 PM

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  04:18:27 AM  Show Profile
I can confirm that - sometimes (quite often, actually) when using arrows VA suggestions box just disappears and standard intellisense one comes up instead. Build 1237; VS.Net 2003; Prefer default intellisense off.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  05:47:57 AM  Show Profile
My understanding is that this is the expected behaviour. When you scroll off the bottom of the suggestion box (the one with the tomatoes), you get the completion listbox with everything in it. See http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.html?more=yes

The fact that you've got a left-over arrow in the second picture is a bug, of course.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

ted4412wilt

22 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  07:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Build 1237; VS.Net 2002 C++. The listbox needs to be enlarged (5 minute task) to
show more names. I also notice that scrolling makes this list change to the big
list that hides my names with a huge mass of Windows names. There should be a
HIDE system include names option.

I notice that Ctrl-Space shows the name I am trying to type even though nothing is
shown before. If VA knows what I want, it should show it without waiting for
Ctrl-Space.
VA is worth every penny of the $99, but it could be improved.
How do I find the latest build?
Go to Top of Page

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  07:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Stephen, I didn't mean the expected behaviour (which I'm aware of) - I meant that sometimes the suggestion listbox disappears *before* I scroll to the bottom of it (e.g. when I try to move from the first to the second item in the list). Unfortunately I wasn't able to spot any pattern which would allow me to reproduce this behaviour at will, so I hadn't mentioned it until I saw this topic.

Oh and one more thing about the suggestion box (the one with tomatoes): the scroll bar in it is confusing. There are gaps between the bar and top/bottom arrows which suggest there're more items in the box than shown. But any attempt to scroll to those items result in box disappearance, so I assume that the box in fact has all available items shown and scroll bar just isn't displayed correctly. This is a bug which I believe is easy to fix.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  08:10:47 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood troppoli's original bug report. I thought it was about the suggestion box turning into the completion box when you scrolled off the end, but I see now that it was probably about what ivan is describing.

ted: Which listbox needs to be enlarged? The suggestion box, the one with the tomatoes in it, deliberately only shows some small number of guesses that it thinks are most likely.

ivan: It could be a bug, but I always assumed that the gaps round the scrollbars were deliberate, so that you would be (subconsciously) prompted to scroll off the bottom and see the completion listbox.

Maybe support will be along soon to give us some definitive answers, so that I can stop sounding as if I know what I'm talking about.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

troppoli

8 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile
My complaint is that the box disappears bfore you get to the end. A more dramatic example is to actually grab the scroll bar and try to move it. Poof the box is gone while the mouse is still down. I don't care if I do scroll to the end, the thing shouldn't just disappear while I've got the scrollbar grabbed. It should only do that if you're arrowing.
Go to Top of Page

RichB

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  07:43:06 AM  Show Profile
In general the fact that the suggestion and completion listboxes seem to handle a different set of keypresses annoys me a bit. I got into the habit of holding PageUp to get to the top of an old VA6 completion box but this now makes the suggestion box disappear and my caret shoot on off up the page - otherwise if I press another key and the completion box shows up, pressing PageUp navigates the box as I would expect....

Not sure how to 'fix' it, but it does just seem a bit of a weird user-experience!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Stephen describes VA X well. As for the UI in this case, that is a different story.

Suggestion listboxes have tomatoes and scrollbars. The scrollbars are subliminally tell you to scroll so you get more entries -- you get a full list of completions, not just those we suggest. Strange UI, but true.

One problem is the highlighted suggestion is sometimes not the first suggestion. You assume it is, press down-arrow and the listbox changes. As well, Up-arrow when the first suggestion is highlighted converts.

The remnant of a scrollbar troppoli gets is a bug.

We intend to change the UI, and get rid of the display/scroll bugs, in the near future. We get rid of scrollbars on suggestion lists, close the list if you scoll off an end, and force you to press Ctrl+Space to get a completion listbox. Read more in this lengthy thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1905

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000