VAX: Repeated parsing of files eats memory
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmoleary

USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile
I am using Visual Assist X in Visual Studio .NET 2003. I've used it successfully for a couple of months now.

I can reproduce this bug at will.

1. Open my solution (a bunch of C++ projects)
2. Open a file in my project
3. Open two files that are NOT in the project but reside on a network drive.

All of a sudden, VAX starts parsing like mad. It repeatedly cycles between two different files. They are not files in my project, but rather files in the same network directory as the files I opened.

My status bar cycles between the following two messages:

"parsing \\\\tonga\\data\\mark\\tmp\\lib\\gsd.h"

and

"parsing \\\\tonga\\data\\mark\\tmp\\lib\\gsdErrorDialog.h"

It starts steadily eating up memory and finally I have to kill Visual Studio.

Any idea what's up with this? One thing I did notice is that the files took a while to open up over our LAN in VStudio. But they did open.

Note I'm assuming that it is Visual Assist doing the parsing here and putting up the parse messages, not Visual Studio.

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  02:34:31 AM  Show Profile
Dear Joe,

I've seen this behaviour too, some while ago. I've mentioned it in the private beta section of this forum: http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1814.

I described the same effect. What helped for me was going to another application (like the Internet Explorer, maximized). When returning (some minutes later?) the effect stopped.
A second time I saw this, I had many files opened (>25) simultaniously (during startup?). VA X stated in an error message that I had to many files open, and then the loop began. I closed all the editor windows, restarted the IDE and all things were fine again... (I've send the log-files of this second time to WholeTomato.)

At both times, I didn't took a look at the memory usage.

I've never heard of it again until now. So I hope the fine team of Whole Tomato will take a look at it some time...

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  09:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Pat we have seen your problem and switching to another application and back does seem to be the trick. We caught it in the debugger and it seems the VS.NET parser was in a wild loop of tossing and catching exceptions. The problem did seem to happen more with us installed, however using the same project we could reproduce the problem w/o VA loaded. After a trying to debug the problem further, it suddenly stopped happening. (still looking)

jmoleary, We believe the network file parsing loop is probably unrelated. Can you enable logging on the Performance tab of the VA options dialog and reproduce the problem. Once you get the spin, you can close/kill the IDE. This will create a file c:\\va.log, please zip and send to [email protected].

Thanks.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  4:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Support,

Thanks for the info. So it's a VS-thing, I hadn't noticed (I've installed VA X directly after installing VS, so I never run VS without VA).

When I can be of some assistance, please let me know.

Thanks again for your efforts.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000