New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  10:14:57 PM  Show Profile
When surround is enabled there is one thing that is really driving me nuts. If surround selection is enabled it works in quoted strings. At first this doesn't seem like a big deal, possibly even wanted. In C# though the strings are parameterized with {n} where n is a number. I find myself often trying to replace a word or sentence with a parameter instead only to have my selection surrounded with {}. I know that if I do it 20 times a day I shouldn't be doing it any more, but I have some sort of mental block.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  1:27:55 PM  Show Profile
If we understand you correctly, you start with this:
"now is the time for all good men."

You select "time" and press { to get this:
"now is the {
    time}
for all good men."

And you expect this:
"now is the {time} for all good men."

or maybe better in this case:
"now is the { for all good men."

Offhand, we see two problems. Surround with { works well when lines are selected. We probably had [have?] a reason for current behavior when the selection is not on a line boundary. (Seems okay for making one-line "if-then" statements into a multi-line "then".) If not, we might do something better.

The other problem is what to do inside strings, and if we should do anything different for C# users. We prefer simple behavior, but perhaps we could make an exception. We will think about the first problem, then this one.

ixBug=54
ixBug=55

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  10:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Surround with { is smarter in build 1237 when partial lines are selected. Bug 54 fixed. Still not smart when inside a string, C# or not.

Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  2:21:55 PM  Show Profile
It still seems broken with 1237. I take the following line of code:

string error = string.Format("The web server proxy foo does not exist", webServerName);

I then select foo and hit { and I get:

string error = string.Format("The web server proxy {
    foo
} does not exist", webServerName);

which is exactly what I got before. Unless I'm supposed to be doing something else it doesn't seem fixed. What would be ideal for you and me would be if I got:

string error = string.Format("The web server proxy {foo} does not exist", webServerName);

with foo still selected so then I could just hit 0 to replace foo and I would be done. I'm not sure that would be the best for all C# users, but for me it would work just fine.

Edited by - kschaab on May 21 2004 2:24:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  3:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for the confusion, there were two parts to the {} bug. Build 1237 only addressed the first, build 1238 will fix {}'s with in comments or strings.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000